Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Layton's Legacy {Holding you in my Heart}



Today I am honored to be participating with SugarPea Designs in the fundraiser and card drive for Layton's Legacy. Please head to the the link to read all about this moving and worthwhile cause founded by my friend, Lea Lawson! October is  Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness month, and October 15th is what many in the loss world call Wave of Light. It is a public way to share the memory of your lost pregnancies and/or babies. You can get all of the information for the fundraiser and card drive HERE.

The card I created for this year's card drive will be mailed to Lea for her to donate to a local hospital for them to distribute to mothers in the maternity ward. I wanted to keep it simple and comfortable, yet pretty. As I pondered what I would create and the sentiment I would use, my thoughts flashed back to my own experience of pregnancy loss. While I can't compare my situation with Lea's or anyone else for that matter, I can still feel the pain and extreme sadness that I felt all those years ago. I received a touching card from my Sister In Law that was specifically created for miscarriage. I wish I could remember what it said, but unfortunately, I can't. I do remember that the gesture touched my heart tremendously. Lea wants these cards to be sensitive, so I picked this "holding you in my heart" sentiment from the Heartfelt Sympathy stamp set because it is simple, yet heartfelt without too many words.

My card design evolved from this particular sentiment and that is why I chose to use the heart that is included in the Postage Stamp SugarCut Collection. I die cut it twice and glued it together for a weightier piece. The background was created by dry embossing the Leaf Cover Plate and adhering it to a standard top folding card base. 

I added the heart to the embossed background using foam squares. The sentiment is stamped in black and notched at the end for detail and interest. I layered that over the heart using foam squares as well.

The flowers, which are from the Meadow Motifs stamp set, are stamped in black and then colored using an assortment of alcohol markers. I die cut them using the Meadow Motifs SugarCuts and added them to the card using foam squares. I also added some details using a white gel pen.

I used a 2 way glue pen on the leaves and some of the petals and then added some coarse crystal glitter for some shine.

A few sparkling clear sequins finish off this simple design! Thanks for fluttering by!
P.S. I  will be sharing another card in honor of this occasion this month, so stay tuned!

6 comments:

Jane Harrah said...

Kelly, I can't locate the sentiment you used. Can you email me with info to find it? I really loved it. We wish you a Merry Christmas was the one and now I can't find the card.

Kelly Lunceford said...

It won't be available for purchase until 10 PM EST tonight.

blaze said...

So very sweet. I love the sentiment.

jan metcalf said...

Love the sentiment! Sorry for your loss Kelly.

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much, Jan!

Stephanie Clapper said...

Dearest Kelly, I’m sorry my comment is late. Things get busy, but I never forget to stop by. Your BEAUTIFUL card is perfect and the message in your blog touched me very much. One of my daughters went through a similar experience and it was heart breaking. I believe that The love and generosity shared thru Layton’s Legacy will help to heal, especially because it shows others care and you’re not alone. Thx so VERY much Kelly. 😊❤️