Friday, October 25, 2019

Keeping Christmas {O' Holy Night}



Hello and welcome to this month's installment of the Keeping Christmas Blog Hop! We're getting down to the wire here, aren't we? The holidays are upon us; the official start for me is Halloween and now that is less than a week away! You'll want to head to each of the designers' blogs to see what fabulous Christmas inspiration they have for us!
 I almost didn't have anything ready for you today because on the Night Before Keeping Christmas, all my creatures were stirring and maybe even a mouse! I had the best laid plans to work on another design commitment as well as Keeping Christmas in between volunteering at the school and a dentist appointment for my Kindergartner. Well, as I was  stamping away, the school called! Ugh! You moms out there know the sheer dread that the school's phone number popping up on your caller ID can invoke! My 8 year old had just thrown up and I needed to go pick him up. This was 1/2 hour before I was supposed to be at the school volunteering. I quickly applied my make up and ran to the school, but not before I sent a desperate text to another mom asking if she could take my volunteer spot! Of course she couldn't so I told the office I didn't know what to do. They offered the sick bed to my son so I could volunteer! LOL! I actually ended up by taking him home and going back to volunteer since he was just resting! I got home just in time to grab some lunch and head BACK to the school to check out my son for his dentist appointment. As I sat in the dentist office, I KNEW I wasn't going to finish my intended project. Instead, I opted for this quick card using some of the new Taylored Expressions dies that I haven't gotten a chance to use!

Let's just call this one a "trial run", shall we? LOL! I learned a few things NOT to do, but I still like the message it is sending. My day wasn't going so well even before the dreaded school phone call; you see, I had just learned that one of my 19 year old son's friends from school, that he played football with for over 10 years, had passed away from suicide. I'd been crying all morning and felt that sadness in the deepest part of my soul.

I don't usually share spiritual messages here and I should be ashamed, because the message that this card is sending is one that is of most importance to me! I love my Savior with all my heart and I know that because of His life and His love, example, Atonement and resurrection, all will be made whole again!  My daughter is friends with this young man's sister and it happened to be her birthday today; of all days! A few of her friends were going to get together for a last minute birthday party for her since her parents were gone because of the tragedy.

In the midst of the crazy, I needed to put a last minute gift together for her and get her to the high school where they were meeting. Of course, I helped her and got her where she needed to be. Her friend loved the gift and the card; thank heavens I have a nice stash!
Anyway, that is probably WAY too much information and more than you wanted to know, but I felt the need to share that life isn't perfect, just like this card, but the Savior is perfect and He knows us perfectly; his birth was a glorious event and that is why I love Christmas so much! After all that, I'll give you a brief synopsis of this card since it is so simple. I used the Follow the Star die set and A Savior is Born die set paired with the Label Stacklets 12 die collection. I die cut the largest label and then added some Tumbled Glass and Faded Jeans Distress Oxide ink. I spritzed it with Shimmer Spray to get the look of a starry sky, although it's hard to see in the photo. The sentiment is from the Penned Elegance Christmas stamp set and is heat embossed in gold and die cut using the Penned Elegance Christmas die collection. The star is die cut from gold glitter specialty paper and added using liquid glue. Thanks for fluttering by!




10 comments:

Cindy Otto said...

After a very emotional and busy day for you, praying you have a peaceful, blessed weekend. Your message of God’s love for us is all we need. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy G said...

Sorry to hear about your day, my thoughts and prayers are with you! Your O'Holy Night card is beautiful!

Debbie said...

Oh, sweet Kelly I am so sorry for this tragedy. Suicide is a growing issue in our youth today. We all need to be a little kinder, a little gentler, a lot more understanding. As for you, we your readers , would certainly understand if you could not meet a blogging post. Be kind to yourself today. Your card is just perfect.

jan metcalf said...

A simple card? Life is not simple either, take care of yourself, blessings to you and those you love Kelly.

Stephanie Clapper said...

Dearest Kelly, my heart is heavy with sadness for your family and especially for the family of your son’s friend. I can’t imagine the pain they feel. If I understood your “embarrassment feelings “, I too struggle with showing my faith too boldly. Our Lord Jesus Christ helps us with that in his teachings, so He knows our struggles. Thank you for sharing your Beautiful and Perfect card, you are so kind and giving. I hope your son is better. Love, prayers and hugs to you, 🙏💖 Steph.

Sue D said...

Beautiful card and what a day you had.

buzzn2scrap said...

Beautiful card ! A few years ago of friend of mine son committed suicide at the age of 21. My heart and prayers go out to the family and those affected. May the Lord embrace them during this difficult time and to remember HE will always love us.

Vikki H said...

Having two adult sons and three middle school grandsons, your post today touched my heart. Young men often have difficulty with being vulnerable and asking for help. Praying for peace and strength for your family and their friends' family. God understands your sorrow. He understands and cares. So grateful for that "holy night".

Conniecrafter said...

Love the layering and the different card stocks you used too!

Paula said...

I love the layering of the city, the images, everything!! It is beautiful. It may seem simple, but very well thought out!!!