Friday, October 5, 2018

You are MERMAZING!

Despite the large amount of talking and laughing I did at the Craft House, I did manage to create some cards using borrowed products that I have been really wanting! This Mermazing stamp set has been in and out of my cart so many times I have lost count! LOL! I was so thrilled to be able to borrow it from Laurie Willison to create this fun card! I feel completely schizophrenic with my crafting lately; switching back and forth between holidays and seasons like a crazy woman! Anyway, when the opportunity to use this set presented itself, I jumped on it! And...it actually FEELS like Fall today, but don't fret, I have lots of seasonal goodness heading to the blog next week, so stay tuned!


The inspiration for this card began with the Ruffle embossing folder from Stampin' Up! I bought it a few months ago and it has sat untouched. I brought it with me to Kansas because I knew I would have time to put it to use. I had envisioned something pink and froofy, but when the light bulb went on to use it to create waves, a card was born! 

To begin, I used my beloved Zig Kuretake Gansai Tambi Pearl Watercolors on a panel of watercolor paper. I cut the panel slightly larger than I would actually need, because I needed to take into consideration that I wanted clean edges and an embossing folder this detailed can "shrink" your paper. I cut it after the painting and embossing was all done. I waited for the paper to dry before I ran it through my Cuttlebug using the folder. I also gave it a generous amount of Shimmer Spray to give it that sparkle that I just can't resist!


My table mates got quite an earful of my coloring woes with the mermaid images. I really wanted her to have purple fins, but I just couldn't get it to look good, so I settled on blue. When she was finished, it really looked she was just a floating head, so the next morning, I quickly colored over the previous blue and changed her to teal. I really like how it turned out. All of the other images were colored using Copic markers and die cut using the coordinating Mermazing Die-namics



The sentiment is heat embossed in silver powder onto a vellum strip! I just love how soft it looks over the watercolor panel! I also gave the shells a coat of Crystal Glaze.The little Clown fish also got some white freckles using a jelly roll pen. 


The handmade seaweed is one of my favorite parts of the card. I made some just like this last summer on THIS card and I have been itching to try it again. It is so simple to do; watercolor the front and back of a scrap of watercolor paper. Let it dry slightly, but before it loses its "give". It is much easier to twist it when it is still damp. I cut it into strips and then twist it. Once it is at the desired height, I snip the top off with sharp scissors into a point. It is so easy to just add some liquid glue to the portion that will touch the card and then adhere it down. I also added a sprinkling of gems from Studio Katia! They were generously given to us and I quickly put them to use. Tip; glue them down upside down! I found this out by accident on this card, but what I discovered is that they keep their amazing sparkle when adhered upside down! The one of the right hand side of the rock is upside down and it looks amazing! I had so much fun creating this card! Thanks for fluttering by!


4 comments:

Kim Heggins said...

adorable...love your incredible background and your seaweed, fabulous!

Tracey McNeely said...

Kelly what an awesome card! You am so glad you had the chance to experience the Craft House, it is one of my favourite places on earth! It's just so good for the soul! Your background, the perfect teal 😉 but seriously the seaweed. I have to try that technique out!,

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you, Tracey! I completely agree! It was just what I needed! Thank you so much!

Stephanie Clapper said...

Hi Kelly! I'm a Papertrey fan, but also a big fan of your's too. I'm enthralled by your card & all the details! I'm hoping to find the embossing folder and give your sea (weed) a try. This beauty would make a video that would go viral! I haven't heard of the Craft house, but it sounds like a crafter's dream! I'm working on Christmas cards but I hope you'll forgive me if I have a few questions in the future, because I LOVE this design SO MUCH!!! Thx so sharing. Truly! :)