Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Happy Valentine's Day {A twist on an old favorite}

Valentine's Day is less than a week away....are you finished with your creating? THIS is one of my very favorite Valentine's Day cards that I've ever made. I shared it again last year on Instagram, but rather than sharing the same card again, I decided to try a fresh take on some of the things that I love most about that particular card.

I don't pull out my watercolors nearly enough and after I do, I realize I need to do it more often. Rather than creating a watercolor panel that is completely saturated in color, I decided to go for a more organic look and just let the paint, paper, and water do the work. I spritzed a panel of watercolor paper and then added in red and purple watercolor paint and pushed them around until I was happy with the results. I sped up the drying process by heating it up with my heat tool. I set it aside to continue to dry while I got to work on the letters.

 I used the Bookprint Alphabet Upper dies to die cut two of each letter; two each from gold specialty paper and two each of regular white cardstock. I glued them together for a more sturdy piece since I knew I would be popping them up with tiny pieces of foam squares. I set those aside to dry as well.

The sentiment, which is one of my favorites, is from the since-retired Be Mine, Valentine stamp set from Papertrey Ink. You could use any sentiment that you like for this step. I heat embossed it in gold powder onto a strip of vellum.

Once the panel was dry, I dry embossed it using the Regency Swirls embossing folder that was included in my Gemini Jr bundle that I got for Christmas in 2020. It is still included in the bundle, but I'm not sure if it is sold separately. It is the same embossing folder that I used on THIS card. Once that was done, I adhered the letters using tiny bits of foam squares. The heat embossed sentiment is tucked between the two rows of letters and wrapped around the panel and secured with clear tape in the back. I did spritz it with a few good sprays of Shimmer Spray as well. The entire panel is added to a top folding A2 Winter Wisteria card base using additional foam squares. I had so much fun making this new version of an old favorite! Thanks for fluttering by!

 

5 comments:

Becky Green said...

Kelly, this just makes me SMILE! BEAUTIFUL RICH COLORS, & I LOVE the embossing with this! STUNNING AGAIN!!!! HAPPY VALENTINES to YOU! Just mailing off packages today! ;)<3

Kelly Lunceford said...

You’re the sweetest! Thank you so much! Happy Valentine’s Day! I’m sure the recipients of their packages will be delighted!🥰❤️🥰

Anonymous said...

Marisela Delgado said: Hola, Kelly! Your cards never disappoint, but this one just stunned me. You made my heart go pitter patter. Just so gorgeous, Kelly. I am always in awe of your work and creativity. This one is no exception. Just gorgeous. ☺ Warm hugs from San Antonio, Texas. ☺ Marisela Delgado mariandmonsterd@yahoo.com

Kelly Lunceford said...

Wow! You’re so sweet! Thank you so much ❤️🥰❤️

Connie said...

Love this artistic look to your valentines card, Kelly!
Have a Great day.