Saturday, January 16, 2021

Ink to Paper January Release Countdown Day 1

Hello friends! It's day 1 of the Ink to Paper January release countdown! You'll be seeing a lot of fun and festive products over the next few days, so get your party hats on! Up first is a super adorable set called "Cake Please"! I've created three cards today using this new stamp/die set and another one using a gorgeous new set called Sprigs and Sprays that pairs perfectly with some recently released sets that I'll talk about at the bottom of today's post.

My first card uses the new Delicate Doilies which are SO much fun and I know I'll be using them A LOT! Just warning you now...ha ha! They come in 3 sizes with a different pattern for each size. This is the largest of the 3, but I use the middle size one on my last card for today's post. These are such great detail pieces to help anchor your focal points or to stamp a sentiment!

The cake die has built in details to help give the cake texture and the shadow image fits perfectly onto the texture lines for ease of stamping. I chose to leave the cake white, but add some Pink Peony ink around the edges using a blender brush. I stamped the detail image in Pale Peony ink as well and then added the polka dot detail using Berry Sorbet ink. Doesn't this cake look scrumptious? My cute son is having his birthday next week and he asked for a 
Strawberry cake with Strawberry icing, so that is how I'm imaging this cake to taste! Yum!!!

The Cake Please stamp set comes with a lot of accessories, like the cake stand, of course. It also comes with candles, which I opted not to use. I chose to use the Happy Birthday cake topper instead. The little "sparkles" that I've added around this cake are actually meant to be used with the candles. I chose to stamp them in silver metallic ink and then add some die cut stars over the top that are cut from silver glitter paper. I thought it gave the card an added festive touch.

It also comes with this beautiful foliage garland, leaves and flowers to decorate your cake any way you'd like! The possibilities are endless! I can't help wanting to make a chocolate cake done up in different shades of brown with some dramatic flowers. 

The set also comes with a baby topper, which I will be showing on my third card, and a Happy Anniversary topper! I couldn't resist adding some glitter to the flowers and cake for even more festive sparkle! 

My next card uses a very simple approach to the cake...I left it completely white but added some white Nuvo drops for added detail. I let them dry while I got to work on some of the other design elements. I know I keep mentioning it, but my mom and sister gave me a Gemini Jr. for Christmas and I am just LOVING the way it cuts! I have hesitated to use some of the more intricate dies because of the problems I've had with my old Cuttlebug. The Gemini Jr. has been cutting everything so well, that I decided to pull out some neglected background dies.

I die cut the On the Border: From the Heart Frame die from Dark Indigo cardstock and layered it onto a panel of the same cardstock for a tone-on-tone dimensional background. I also added a Border Bling: Skinny Diagonals Frames over the top using 1/8 inch ScorTape for security. I'm obsessed with the dramatic feel that this background has! I almost didn't want to cover it up with anything! ha ha!

Once the Nuvo drops were dry, I was ready to assemble the card. I placed the cake on a Sweet Blush/Pale Peony cake stand and added some stamped flowers and foliage.

The sentiment, which is from the previously released Wreath Favor Box Sentiments Stamp Set, is heat embossed in gold and wrapped around the blue base and secured it in the back using clear tape. I absolutely LOVE this stamp set and think this sentiment is perfect for this sweet cake!

I added some Gold Drip Drops to the centers of some of the flowers and on the blue background for some dramatic detail. I've been having so much fun with these so I'm just warning you they'll be making a few more appearances over the next few days! ha ha! This card is quite simple, but the colors and texture paired with the gold accents step it up a bit!

My final card using the Cake Please stamp set uses the Oh Baby cake topper and ANOTHER sentiment from the Wreath Favor Box Sentiments stamp set. This "sweet as can be" sentiment works perfectly with the baby topper AND the cake theme of the card!

My mouth is watering imaging this yellow cake being something Lemon-y! I used the same inking technique with this cake as I did on the first one. I used yet another doily to anchor this cake and create a visual barrier between the yellow cake and the yellow background.

These flowers got a coating of sugary glitter as well to give the card some added detail! The Oh baby topper is stamped in metallic ink and tucked behind the cake. I added a few glittery stars to this card as well, AND another one of the "sparkles"!

I created another tone-on-tone background, but this time using the Cover Plate Ornate Die and Lemon Tart cardstock! This is one of my favorite backgrounds and I love the detail and dimension it adds! I wanted to added another frame around the edge, but resisted so it wouldn't look too similar to my last card! ha ha!

I added some gold drip drops to this card as well. I love how well they play off of the glitter cardstock and gold embossing!

It would be easy to make a baby boy card using this same idea, just omitting the flowers. You could add the stars to the cake like I did the Nuvo drops on the blue card. The doily could also be swapped out for a circle die. 

My 4th and final card for today uses the new Sprigs and Sprays stamp set paired with another new set called Antique Wishes. I was going for a Shabby Chic feel with the colors and overall feel. 

This card uses the middle size of the Delicate Doilies and this one has a smaller eyelet looking lace edge. I just love the sweet detail that it adds to this design.

I die cut the foliage in the pitcher and then stamped them using my MISTI for ease and precision.  Since this is a sympathy card, I chose soft, reassuring colors to evoke peace and comfort. 

The frame is from the Antique Wishes stamp set as well as the foliage in the bottom right corner. The frame die cut has built-in embossed details and the coordinating stamp set fits over the top. My frame is die cut from Aqua Mist cardstock and then I added the stamped detail using Stormy Sea ink. 

The Sprigs and Sprays stamp set was designed to coordinate with the pitcher from the Abundant Blooms stamp set AND the vase/earthenware pot from the Branches of Love stamp set. I love this pitcher and knew it would be perfect for the antique/shabby feel of my card.

I want to stop NEEDING sympathy cards, but I do indeed, so I chose to use this beautiful sentiment from the Feathered Friends 4 stamp set. I heat embossed it using detail black embossing powder onto a strip of vellum. I added some glitter and sequins to finish off this design! Don't forget to join me tomorrow for day 2 of the countdown! Thanks for fluttering by!

 

9 comments:

Cindy Otto said...

I love all of these cards! You really put your heart and soul into your work. Beautiful creations!

laurazark@gmail.com said...

These are all gorgeous cards! I am blown away how you can make so many gorgeous cards. You have a wonderful gift of creativity.

Stephanie Clapper said...

Your cards are so pretty! I especially love the cake against the dark blue background, it gives it such a dramatic effect. The Happy Birthday sentiment on top of your design is a wonderful idea too. This post will definitely help with your birthday card stash. And here’s wishing you another Happy 13th Birthday + 1 day! 😊💖

Stephanie Clapper said...

P.S. meant to add, I was happy to hear your Gemini feedback. I’ve had my eye on it for awhile and after reading your post, just might use some Christmas gift cards. Thanks Kelly. 👍🎂

Marcia Hill said...

WOW...you have been so busy and the results are all FABULOUS! And now I'm hungry for cake! Love them all but my favorite is the one with the navy blue background...such a STUNNING card Kelly! And your sympathy card couldn't be any prettier either. Lovely, lovely cards Kelly!! :0)

Connie said...

Stunning work, Kelly!
Love all of the above!

Conniecrafter said...

those are some beautiful decorated cakes!!
Love the pitcher with flowers!

Anonymous said...

Marisela Delgado said: GORGEOUS! The dark indigo card is STUNNING! I love it! mariandmonsterd@yahoo.com

KBardeer said...

Love the softness of your cards! Just so delicate and pretty . Can I ask where does the pitcher element come from?
Thank you ,Kathleen