Hello! I'm super excited to be here today sharing my card with you for the current SugarPea Designs Mix it Up Challenge! It's always fun to get to create something with the newest release and that's just what I have done today!! I used the new Dare to Dream stamp set, which was fun because I didn't get a chance use the dream catcher image during the release. You can see what I made using this same set HERE.
It probably won't surprise you that I had originally planned on using the new Stuck on You stamp set for today's card, but as it evolved, I really like the new direction it took! I knew that I would be using the photo as my direct inspiration, but I also had envisioned a layout using these curved pieces. These were going to be"resting" places for my pots of cacti/succulents.
To begin, I die cut 3 curved pieces using the Card Front Element Builder as well as the top portion of the card. I wanted to keep the card cohesive with the subtle stitching lines that these dies add. After they were all cut, I got to work doing the ink blending; I used Spiced Marmalade, Antique Linen, Peacock Feathers, and Black Soot. I loved how nicely these colors looked to mimic the sunset in the photo.
At this point, I didn't know exactly where I was headed; cacti? succulents? Llamas? Any of those would have worked, but then I remembered that I didn't use the dream catcher image. during the release. I decided that it would look really nice with these colors. I heat embossed it in gold onto a vertical strip of sheer vellum. This particular image doesn't have a coordinating SugarCut, so I had to think of a good way to use it without covering up the blended background. I think the vellum is perfect!
I also die cut the word "dreams" 4 times using the new Dreams SugarCut . I glued it together using liquid glue. I planned on embossing it in gold like I did on my card for the release, but as I put it against the background, I really liked how the white looked. I placed it just below the center of the dream catcher using liquid glue.
One of the fun parts of this stamp set it the different ways that you can mix and match the sentiments. I picked one that was only one line so that it could be added to a thin sentiment strip. It is heat embossed in gold onto a strip of black card stock. I contemplated tearing it like the black hills in the photo, but didn't take the time to experiment...i'm still wondering how that would have looked! Oh well!
Once the card was all put together, I thought the word "dreams" was just a little too stark so I used my old Stampin' Up Color Spritzing Tool and a Black Stampin' Write marker and added some black flecks! I just love the subtle detail it adds to the card. I toyed around with adding some gold sequins in the pattern that the stars are placed on the challenge photo, but in the end I decided against them because I really like how it turned out without them. I was a little worried in the beginning that I was making something worthy of a southwest motel circa 1988, but I actually REALLY like it! That is why I love challenges so much because I always end up creating something that I would NEVER have made otherwise! I really hope you will join us! It's always so fun seeing your creations in the gallery! Thanks for fluttering by!