Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Treats for someone Sweet!

 How many of you knew this was coming? LOL! So far I've made carrotsstrawberries and now watermelon wedges! I knew when I saw the carrot treat box die that I would definitely get my money's worth because the creative possibilities are endless! I experimented with different techniques to achieve the look of an actual watermelon, but ultimately decided on this. I woke up this morning and noticed that the new Color Throwdown Challenge was up and so I quickly finished my project so that I could play! How fitting is this photo??? LOL!
 I was only planning on one, but then when I imagined how cute a half circle of melon would be, I got to work and made 2 more. I actually have 3 people who I wanted to give a little treat to anyway, so I'm excited to have this project done!
 As I was digging through my stash of stamps to find the perfect sentiment, I was thrilled to find that the So Sweet stamp set that was released at the same time as the carrot treat box die, had some fabulous sentiments that work year round! They also coordinate perfectly to fit inside the included tag dies as well. I die cut my tags out of true black cardstock and then heat embossed the sentiment using pink embossing powder. My daughter was looking through my stash the other day and mentioned that I never use pink...she was thrilled that I used it here!




 To begin, I die cut 6 of the carrot treat box die because you use two pieces per box. I added some 1/8 inch scor tape to the tabs to connect the pieces together and then got started with my sponging. 
 I used Fired Brick at the point and then blended in some Worn Lipstick as I worked my way up the box. I ended so that I could leave enough white space like a real watermelon has. I then blended in the cracked pistachio at the top. I expermented with a few water splashing techniques but decided that I liked just spritzing the water directly onto the paper using my spray bottle. 
 I was so excited to make the watermelon seeds! I knew that I could make some very realistic looking seeds by using some Ebony Black Nuvo Drops. I had done some direct to paper seeds on an earlier attempt and realized that they are just too tempermental to risk on something that takes a lot of time. I decided to just make them on some plastic so that I could create them just as I wanted. I ended up making a whole army of seeds! LOL! I needed 12 for each box so I ended up making A LOT because they didn't all end up looking like seeds. 
 I adhered the seeds before I assembled the boxes so that they could dry flat. I used Tombow Mono Multi Glue because it dries clear. That is always a plus! 




I picked up some boxes of Sour Patch watermelon candy at the dollar store which worked out great because they are packaged in a cello bag inside the box. I simply took them out of the box, folded them in half and then stuffed them inside. They barely fit! Whew! I added the gingham ribbon and tag to finish them off! I had so much fun putting these together! Thanks for fluttering by!

17 comments:

Karen Hasheck said...

This is so perfect- I am blown away! I love it and have pinned to try myself, and will link to yours!

Pam Sparks said...

ok - I just put the carrot box in my cart over there. hehe These are so delightful! Love them Kelly!

Kim Heggins said...

LOVE these...so much fun!

Cindy Otto said...

Darling idea!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you! They were really fun to make!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Oh yay! I'm such an enabler!😂😉😂 I'm glad you like them!

Cindy H. said...

OMGosh, these little treat boxes are fabulous! Love them!!

Broni said...

Hey, Kelly! These watermelon slices are totally awesome!! I love them! And those seeds! Perfect!! Thanks so much for joining us at the Color Throwdown!

Lisa H. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa H. said...

Okay. Trying this again!! Shut the front door!! This is amazing!!! Totally love the pretty watermelon colors and your seeds. Thanks for linking uk to CTD!!

Tiya-B said...

i agree with all the wonderful comments before me. These are the best! So artistic, fun and colorful treat the boxes, and how great to be filled with watermelon candy, that's fantastic.

Fran Wing said...

I LOVE these!!

Vicki Finger said...

Oh my gosh! Adorable little treat boxes!

AmyR said...

These are adorable!! Thanks for playing along with the CTD challenge! :)

Sharyn Polesel said...

Super cute! I pinned it so I wouldn't forget. lol

Marybeth said...

Like I said on Instagram, Kelly these are absolutely amazing! I am so glad Papertrey Ink did a repost as I would have hated to miss your darling watermelon boxes! Your how to make directs are wonderful ! You knocked this one out of the park! I don't have the oxide inks but have the others and will give it a try! Thank you so much for sharing your talent! Hugs!