Friday, January 25, 2019

Keeping Christmas {just a little something} sewn mini stockings



Welcome to the first Keeping Christmas Blog Hop of 2019! Wahoo! I am so excited to get started on Christmas projects for this year! As I was packaging things up this past Christmas, the ideas were swirling and I am so excited about the content that I have planned to share with you this year and I hope you enjoy it as well!  For my project today, I have created a set of 4 sewn mini stockings and coordinating tags! You can find the tutorial for these stockings on my Thimbles and Thread blog HERE. Also, don't forget to head to the rest of the designer's blogs to see what fabulous Christmas inspiration they have for you as well!
Kelly Lunceford (you are here)

Vicki Finger


Nancy Guse

The idea for these tiny little stockings came from a little stocking and tag that my SU! demonstrator gave me this past Christmas! It was absolutely adorable and I couldn't wait to try and make a few myself. I had originally planned on making them using the same fabric I used for THIS project, but as I was getting the fabric prepped, I realized that #1 I didn't want to use it up, because I am a hoarder 😜and #2 the print is quite large and I felt that it would get lost and be too busy for these small stockings. So...a trip to the fabric store was in order. The Christmas selection had been totally picked over and the results were dismal. I decided to just look around for some other prints that inspired me! As coincidence would have it, I was drawn to the same line that I used for THESE projects! 

I really love the look that the crisscross leaves have in these particular fabrics and I knew they would work  perfectly with the Gina K Tiny Wreath Tag builder bundle that I got as a freebie from Simon Says Stamp last December. I was already planning on using this set for the tags, so it was a win/win! Also, I really love how the non Christmas fabrics look for these tiny sewn stockings!

As I mentioned earlier, I have created a tutorial for these stockings which is linked above. I made a total of 4, but for photography purposes,  I  was only able to get 3 to look nice in the photographs.

These stockings actually hold quite a bit of goodies and treats. They are large enough to hold a gift card as well, which I plan on doing.  They are not lined, but I think the cuff adds just the right enough of "extra" cuteness to make up for it. You could definitely line them if you need or want to.

To begin the tags, I die cut 4 out of white cardstock using one of the Tag Sale tags from PTI. I stamped the "just a little something" and the " a gift for you" sentiment circles and punched them out. They are attached to the tags using foam squares for dimension.  

Once that was done, I got to work adding the different foliage images around the circles. I didn't plan these out well enough and ended up with a random hole at the bottom! Ugh! Oh well...I just used another branch and called it good! I was making these all at the same time, doing the same step on each one as I went so I was stuck! LOL! I added a few sparkling clear rhinestones here and there for some shine! I attached these to the cuff of the stocking using tiny clothespins. I tried some twine tied to the clothespins, but it looked to cluttered, so I left them be! These were so easy and simple to make! I'm sure I will be cranking out a few more before too long! Thanks for fluttering by!


6 comments:

Debbie said...

So happy that you are continuing with the Keeping Christmas posts. These are adorable.

Marcia Hill said...

These are absolutely ADORABLE Kelly!! I love that you used the non-traditional fabric and how perfect are those matching tags! These have to be the cutest little stockings I have ever seen and you are definitely going to be bringing smiles to the recipients of these fun and sweet little gifts!! :0)

Vicki Finger said...

So super cute! I have been thinking of breaking out my sewing machine and making something! I definitely need to go look at fabric - something I haven't done in a long time!

Andrea Hastilow said...

Beautiful work, popped over to the other site to see details. I've felt particularly creative since Christmas, shame it wasn't before but ill health did the disappearing trick with my mojo. Thank you for sharing your work.

Kim Heggins said...

oh my...love your sweet Christmas stockings, just adorable. And your tags are as sweet as can be.

Nancy G said...

I am always so excited to see your posts! Your Christmas stockings and tags are so beautiful!!