Wednesday, March 6, 2019

SugarPea Designs Mix It Up Challenge #53 {It's time to Celebrate}

Hello! Thanks for stopping by today!  I'm sharing my card for the current SugarPea Designs Mix it Up Challenge! It's a fun one so I hope you'll play along! As always, there is a 50 dollar prize up for grabs, so head to the SugarPea Designs Blog to read all about it!
As always, you can play with both sides, or just one! I chose to work with both sides of the inspiration piece, although my final result strays just a bit. Sometimes my mind's eye and reality don't see eye to eye! LOL!

I couldn't wait to pull out the new Elephant Parade stamp set and get it inky again! There's just never enough time during release week to experiment as much as I'd like! Anyway, these cute little critters have been calling my name and I thought they'd work perfectly for today's card!  I also wanted to try a shaker card using the Diagonal Striped Coverplate. I'm not very good at shaker cards, but I felt like this inspiration piece was just begging to be translated into a shaker card! I really hate using foam strips, so I decided to just die cut the piece 6 times and layer it with liquid glue instead. It really makes a nice sturdy card, too! LOL! I did some ink blending on the top piece using the four colors from the inspiration photo.

 I used quite an assortment of sequins to mimic all of the different sprinkles on the photo. I really wanted to add real sprinkles, but worried that edible sprinkles might not be good if the recipient saves the card. Also, since I used liquid glue, It could have made the colors from the sprinkles bleed. I'll have to experiment with those another time.

I die cut the circle using the Zig Zag Stitched Circles SugarCuts and used that as the backdrop for my critters. The sentiment, which is from Elephant Parade, is stamped in black and mounted on the circle using foam squares. I stamped the images in black and then colored them with Copic Markers. I used the Elephant Parade SugarCuts to die cut them and then added them to the circle using foam squares.

The "Hip Hip Hooray" portion is stamped using the Balloon Numbers stamp set. I colored the balloon using Copic markers and then die cut it using the coordinating Balloon Numbers SugarCuts. I  then added a layer of crystal glaze to give it a realistic shine. I stamped the balloon string across the critter's hand to give the appearance of  it holding it. I had originally planned on laying out my card the same as the inspiration photo, but in the end I had to switch things up! Thanks for fluttering by!

No comments: