Sunday, October 18, 2020

Revisiting old favorites for children's birthday cards!

Happy Sunday, friends! I've been having so much fun this year making birthday cards for each of the sweet kiddos at church! I wasn't planning on posting these but I finally finished making them for the rest of the year, so I figured I may as well share the rest of the bunch! I've been collecting these stamps/dies for years so some may be retired, but I'll do my best to link up the products that I've used!

Up first are these birthday hat cards made using the Party Hat Die and coordinating Party Hat Trims Dies. These dies are made to create an actual hat, but I found that by trimming off just a bit, I was able to get the hat to fit onto the front of the card AND keep its 3D shape! This is definitely NOT mailable, but I've been doing doorstep drop offs, so these were so fun and perfect for that!

I made one boy hat and one girl hat sporting the number 8! I've LOVED having these By the Numbers dies since they were released forever ago! They come in so handy when making a special birthday card. I've used them on a few other designs as well included in this post, so stay tuned.

I got to work die cutting all of the pieces I would need for both cards and then got to work putting them together. 

I added some Crystal Glaze over the top of both of the number 8 dies, but added some coarse crystal glitter to this one on the girl card for some added sparkle. 


The Bitty Big Pattern Paper worked perfectly to mix and match colors and patterns for these playful designs. I love mixing stripes and polka dots for a festive look!

I used to use the Stylish Sentiments: Birthday stamp set on every birthday card I would make, but somehow got out of the habit. I pulled it out again to use at the bottom of these two cards. 

My next set of cards I made was this design. I actually ended up by making a few with the number 3 and then this one with the number 4. I used the retired Little Hot Rod set ( you can still by the dies HERE) for this design and another set further down in the post. I shamefully have only used this set a handful of times. I bought it specifically for THIS project and have only used it once since! I was so happy to pull it out for these fun birthday cards!

I used a SUPER old Cuttlebug embossing folder for these cards and a few others that you will see today. I just love it and think it is timeless. We're just really taking a walk down memory lane today, aren't we? ha ha!

I embossed the background and then added in the Swirling Clouds using foam squares. I die cut a focal circle using some old Spellbinders circle dies and the By the Numbers Patterned Paper. I love that the paper has the same style of numbers as the dies...a perfect match!

I heat embossed the sentiment onto a strip of red cardstock for a crisp look. I added the plane and cars to the card using foam squares. I dressed up the inside with one more car and one of the sentiments from the same set I used on the first card. I used the one that talks about "enjoy the ride", which I felt worked so well with this design!

This next set of cards uses the same design details, but just different images. This little chugging train is just the cutest thing ever and I love the little puffs of steam coming up from the boiler!

The only sentiment that is specifically made for the train is the "Choo Choo".  I felt it was too small to be the main focus so I used the "Zooming by" sentiment (which doesn't really fit) but added the "Choo Choo" at the bottom to pull in the train aspect.

As you can see, I made one with a 3 and one with a 2 to fit the ages of the sweet birthday boys! One of these is headed to its recipient today....I hope he likes it! He'll probably like the treat I'm taking with it better, but I had fun making these! ha ha!

I kept the numbers white but added some Crystal Glaze over the top and some glitter. A few sequins give it just a little added detail to help balance the design.

As you can see, I really gave this embossing folder a good workout! I actually copied myself with this design...it is one I made for my son a few years ago for his birthday. I really like the Boy Basics: Game On Mini stamp set for birthday cards! I love all of the cute sentiments with the play on gaming!

This particular stamp set doesn't have a coordinating die set, so it is fun to use the images to create a pattern or background.

My final two cards to share with you today are these fun little monkey cards. I showed them to my youngest son (his birthday was upcoming) and he informed me that he wanted one of these! I thought for sure he would pick one of the video game cards, but he wanted the monkey! I used the adorable Huggables: Monkey Mini stamp set and die with the coordinating Tag Sale: Huggable die. Some blush and glittery bananas add some extra detail to these little monkeys! This is the last of the cards, but I DID end up by making 2 more of THESE cards! If you are interested in seeing a few more of my recent birthday cards for kids (which happen to mostly be boy themed) you can see those HERE. I had so much fun working on these, but I am definitely doing things differently with this upcoming year! LOL! Thanks for fluttering by!

 

16 comments:

Carol (HB) said...

Kelly, these are so bright and happy and the kids will love them!

Whimsey said...

Hands-down, those party hat cards are the cutest thing I have ever seen for a kids birthday! can you share a bit more about how you cut the head down to fit the car but also keep its 3-D shape?
All of the cards are amazing, I’m just in love with a party hat cards!

Holly said...

Super cute cards!!

Cindy H. said...

What an awesome bunch of children's cards! Love them all!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much, Carol! Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet comment! I really appreciate it!❤

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much! They're my favorite, too!😉 The die has a very large flap on one side so you can adhere two dies together to create the actual hat. I simply trimmed off a good portion of that large flap. I also made a second flap (about a 1/4 inch) on the other side, using a scoring blade on my trimmer. You could also use a ScorPal. Once that was done, I put ScorTape on both flaps. I placed one side on the card at just the right angle, pressed the adhesive down. Then I bowed the hat into the right shape and carefully secured the other side. I could reach my hand up inside to run my hand along the score line with the tape and give it a good press. Hopefully that helps!

jan metcalf said...

Bright and happy cards for the kids! Love the stripes and dots too!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much, Jan!😘

Connie said...

What wonderful cards, Kelly! Great colors for the cheery day! Love that party hat!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thanks so much, Connie! You're so sweet!❤

blaze said...

What a blessing you are to the people that you reach out and touch. Your act of kindness, I'm so sure, is treasured!

Debbie said...

Kelly, you are one of the sweetest, kindest ladies I have come across in this creative blogland. The world needs so many more like you, especially in these difficult times. Take good care. Of course your cards are adorable!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Awww....you are so sweet! Thank you so much!😘😘😘

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you SO much! You are so sweet! You made me cry!❤❤❤ thank you for stopping by and for your sweet words!

Stephanie Clapper said...

What a fun & fabulous post! You’ve created some awesome cards for kids this year and there isn’t one that I haven’t loved! Too many to count and remember so it’s a FANTASTIC idea to look back and re-inspire. I think you may have started something, yet another ‘event’ on your blog, (like your monthly Christmas cards, which is a fav too!) Oh and I really loved the Shark bites 🐋. Kelly, I couldn’t agree more with Debbie. Thank you for all of your hard work, making your blog a joy to read and your outstanding creations. You’re one in a million! 🥳💞

Kelly Lunceford said...

That WOULD be a fun blog series!❤❤❤ thank you so much for your constant kindness! You're a ray of sunshine and I appreciate it so much!😘😘😘