Saturday, January 23, 2021

Pinkfresh Studio January 2020 Challenge {Live Life in Full Bloom}


It's the weekend! Yay! Things have been pretty busy around here with two releases and a few extra projects that I've been needing to get done! The month has slipped away from me, but before it's gone completely, I wanted to make a few cards for this month's Pinkfresh Studio January 2021 Challenge! The fun thing about this particular challenge is that you can pick ANY of the challenges from 2020! I chose to use the inspiration from the November 2020 challenge, with the photo posted below!



I actually made two versions of this card, with the second version at the end of this post. They are almost identical, the only difference being the color of the Leafy Wreath, which I will talk about later. To begin both cards, I used the Diamond Plaid Stencil Set with the first layer being inked up using Lavender ink and the second layer using Regal Kiss ink for a dramatic effect. In the end, the purple turned out to have more pink in it than the inspiration photo color swatches, but I liked how it turned out so I just went with it!

Once the backgrounds were finished, I used the Essentials: Stitched Rectangles die set to add the finished detail around the perimeter of each of the panels. I haven't ever used these particular dies, so it was fun to switch things up a bit! Sometimes I get stuck in a rut and just reach for the same things because I like the end result, but it was nice to try something new.

My next step was to create the pretty Mermaid Cove and Tidal Pond flowers. I think that's what I was most excited about in the inspiration photo, especially paired with the dark blue. I've really been enjoying using bold color combinations, rather than the pastels I usually reach for. The flowers were created by first die cutting them using the Charming Floral Wreath die set. I cut two for each of the cards for a total of 4. Once that was done, I used my Mini MISTI Stamping Tool to stamp the leaves and flowers using the Charming Floral Wreath Stamp Set. I haven't used this set since it was first released, so it was fun to use it again. I don't know why I haven't used it more!

The leaves are stamped in Olive ink and then the flowers are stamped in Mermaid Cove and Tidal Pond ink. I die cut the a white circle using the Essentials: Diagonal Stitched Circles and then stamped the sentiments, which is from one of my FAVORITE stamp sets, Layered Bouquet, using Stargazer ink. 

I die cut the beautiful Leafy Wreath out of Dark Indigo cardstock and one out of white, which I used on my second card. I really love the dramatic contrast between the plaid background and this intricate, bold wreath!

Once I had all of the main focal images and background ready to go, I got to work assembling the cards. I mounted the stenciled plaid background onto a top folding A2 card base using 1/4 inch ScorTape. My order arrived so I was super happy to have it back in my drawer! It's never fun to run out of the essentials! I added the Leafy Wreath to the die cut circle using foam squares as well as the two floral pieces.

This is the alternative version, with the difference being that this Leafy Wreath is die cut from white cardstock with Stargazer ink over the top. I love both versions for different reasons and can't pick a favorite. Which one do you prefer?

Both cards have a "Gilver" glitter BOW {of course} which is hot glued to the top for security. I didn't use any yellow that was represented in the inspiration photo, so this is my bit of "yellow", if you can call it that! ha ha! I added a few Essentials: Jewels in both the Mermaid Cover color and the darker sapphire color. I hope you get a chance to play along with this month's challenge, especially because there are so many different inspiration options! I had a lot of fun picking which one to use! Thanks for fluttering by!

 

6 comments:

Becky Green said...

WOW, Kelly! I'm with you, I can't pick which one I like better! LOL The darker wreath is NICE, but the more royal blue is STUNNING ALSO! They're SO CLOSE to each other, it is hard to see much difference! BUT, THEY'RE BOTH, STUNNING!!!!!!!!! ;)<3

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you SO much, Becky! You're so sweet!❤❤❤

Stephanie Clapper said...

I’m head over my (very low heels) with the colors and layout of your gorgeous cards. I don’t pick favorites because honestly, all of your cards are favs! But I do love the surprise of the Stargazer ink on your wreath, it’s unexpected and Beautiful! (I’m really loving the plaid stencil). I just had to add one extra note. After many years of making cards, I still use liquid glue for everything except when I add dimension. One of the hardest things for me is getting my designs straight on my card base, especially paper. But here’s to Scor-Tape in my dreams!. Lol. 😊💖

Nicole Parmentier said...

Gorgeous! I love these unexpected color combinations!!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Oh Stephanie, you make me laugh! Thanks so much for stopping by and your sweet and jovial comments!😂

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much!