Friday, August 7, 2020

The Greetery Sending Warm {Sunflower} Thoughts



Hello and welcome friends! It's my turn for this week's T.G.I.F. {The Greetery Inspiration Friday}! I'm over on The Greetery Blog and I'm sharing my cards here as well! I love this time of year when all of the Sunflowers start to bloom EVERYWHERE!!
They're so cheery, don't you think?  My BotaniCuts Sunflower Dies have been a bit neglected so I thought it would be the perfect time to pull them out! I love mixing previously released products with new, as I have done on today's cards! 

There are so many ways to bring these BotaniCuts dies to life; watercoloring, ink blending, colored pencils, etc. The list goes on and on. For today's Sunflowers, I started with yellow cardstock and simply added some extra ink around the edges using a darker ink. The leaves, however, were die cut from white cardstock and then I added the color using ink and a blender brush. The Sunflowers also got a bit of brown ink splatter for some additional detail.


I fell in love with Betsy's "faux shiplap" technique she used during the release! I've been dying to try it myself, so I added it as a background detail behind the stamped Halfsies Oval portion of the card. I also added the woodgrain texture that the Create-a-Crate dies include. I just felt it really gave the card some extra texture and detail.



This technique is really easy to do, and in fact, used less of the panels than I originally thought! There is only one full panel and the rest are cut in half to look like two, since the other half isn't showing! I added the full panel directly in the middle using liquid glue and then just added them above and below in a straight line.


The sentiments from theWritten in Ribbons stamp set worked perfectly to accent this card, but also allow the fun background to show as well! Who knew how nice a gray/licorice bow would look? The rest of the sentiment is heat embossed in white for some added contrast!


There's something magical that happens when the watering can images from the Sprinkled with Kindness stamps all come together! The realism is amazing and accent the Sunflowers perfectly! I was a little worried about the scale of the blooms, but I have grown some seriously large Sunflowers, and I think they look perfect tucked behind the watering can! 
Both of the sentiments are from the Sentiment Suite: Thinking of You stamp set.  I heat embossed the one at the top and just stamped the one on the tag using black ink! They are die cut with the Sentiment Suite Basics Die. I normally don't use two sentiments on one card, especially with the wording on the watering can, but I felt like this particular arrangement really worked! Sometimes you just have to fuss and fiddle until you strike that balance!


 The little tag on the watering can is all tied up with twine for an extra touch! I have a random tip to share with you, but it really does come in handy on little bows like this! For some reason, they always look SO much better when I tie them upside down. I simply turn my card or project upside down and tie the bow that way. I don't know if there is a science behind it, but it really does work! ha ha! Give it a try and see if it works for you, too!


These cards were such a joy to create and embrace the beauty of the season perfectly! I can't wait to pop these into the mail to bring some summer cheer to a deserving recipient! Thanks for fluttering by!

17 comments:

Cindy H. said...

Kelly, your cards are SO beautiful! I love them both and because of that my wish list has grown yet again. It's always a joy to visit your blog and see what beauty you have created. Thanks for ALL the inspiration!!

Cindy otto said...

Love the sunflowers! They are so happy! Thanks you for sharing your creativity.

TLady said...

SUPER WORK, Kelly! I LOVE the pairings you've done with these! So Summery & just PERFECT for this season! ;)<3

blaze said...

Oh, to have just a smidge of your talent and creativity...BUT, I do CASE pretty well, so keep the inspiration coming, Kelly! You're keeping me "in business". Haha!

Connie said...

Fantastic cards, Kelly! Your work is so inspiring! I wish I had a sunflower die.

JoAnn said...

Beautiful cards. I love those cheerful sunflowers and the design of each card. Thanks for the inspiration.

Debbie said...

Oh, Kelly, your cards are beautiful. I love when you and other Greetery designers combine the old with the new. I'm now thinking of other botanicuts that might also work with the adorable watering can. Thank you for the inspiration. I hope you and your family have a joyous weekend.

Conniecrafter said...

Both cards are just beautiful, Love them!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much, Connie! I appreciate you stopping by and your sweet comment!❤

Kelly Lunceford said...

Awww...thank you so much, Debbie! You're so sweet! I'm thinking the roses would be delightful!😍 I hope you're having a fabulous weekend as well!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much, JoAnn! Have a wonderful day!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you, Connie! You're so sweet!

Kelly Lunceford said...

You're so sweet!❤❤❤ I'm glad I'm giving you inspiration! That makes me happy!❤❤❤

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much! You're so sweet!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much, Cindy! You're so sweet!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much, Cindy! You're so sweet! Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet comments!❤❤❤

Stephanie Clapper said...

Wow Kelly, these are beautiful! I buried myself in my craft room this weekend, (working on 6 watering can cards) and lost track of time. Tonight I remembered it was TGIF on the Greetery and what a beautiful surprise! I mentioned on the blog that I rarely think of using black as an accent color but your gorgeous sunflowers truly stand out & the panel background too! ( a new fav of mine!). Thank you for your beautiful posts and never ending AMAZING inspiration! 😊🌻💖