Saturday, April 27, 2019

Saturday Showcase {Everyone Needs a Friend Like You}



Happy Saturday, friends! I hope you've all had a nice week! I'm sharing two cards today for the Papertrey Ink Saturday Showcase using the Woodblock Prints stamp set. I paired these beautiful and intricate designs with the Some Like It Hot stamp set! I'm always looking for ways to add extra detail and dimension to my designs and these images are the perfect fit! If you've joined me from the Papertrey Ink Blog, then great, but if not, make sure you head over there to watch Ashley's video where she shares how she made her project!

 How many of you already own the Woodblocks Prints stamp set? I'd love to hear how you have used it in your designs! Leave me a comment if you have a minute! Before I dive into the details of these two tropical designs, I want to share with a few other ideas I had to use these particular stamps.  All of the images clustered together on the image sheet that comes with the set remind me of the classic bandana print! I can't wait to try using these images to create some fun 4th of July or western designs with a bandana as my inspiration. These images also remind me of beautiful Ginger Jars and you could easily recreate that look; especially beautiful paired with some of the floral stamps we all love to own!
Since I couldn't share ALL of those ideas today, I just decided to focus on some bright, fun tropical designs! I fell in love with the Some Like It Hot stamp set when it was first released and immediately added it to my collection! Honestly, I've never made any cards with it that I have been as happy with, as these two. I really love how the addition of the Woodblock Prints enhances the tropical vibe that I was trying to achieve!

To begin these cards, I used the Some Like It Hot die collection to die cut a large quantity of shapes. Once they were all cut, I got to work stamping them all using my mini MISTI. I actually have quite a few stamped images left over so I will be able to use them on a future project. Once that was done, I die cut two of the pinked shape using the Mix and Mat: Pinked Edge die out of white cardstock. I used my mini MISTI to stamp all of the Woodblock Prints images onto the panels. 


I had so much fun adding all of the die cut images using foam squares to create some extra dimension! Both of the sentiments are from the Keep It Simple: Friendship mini stamp set and are heat embossed in gold. The "you've got a friend in me" sentiment is die cut using the Skinny Mini Banners die and the other one is embossed on a strip of vellum and secured to the back of the Aqua Mist panel using clear tape. I also gave the Aqua Mist panel some extra detail by using the Nesting Basics: Pierced Rectangle dies

I added in some additional images from the Woodblock Prints on the pink panel of this card. It really gives the card some additional visual movement, but with the tone-on-tone stamping, it keeps things subtle to eliminate a cluttered design. I had so much fun putting these two cards together! Thanks for fluttering by!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly, your cards are gorgeous!! I love the way you used the wood block designs with the tropical theme, and the colors are stunning together! SherryG

Susanbcards said...

Your cards remind me of Florida, warm and beautiful.

jan metcalf said...

One of my all time favorite sets from PTI! Love Hibiscus!

Traci M said...

I have this set and used it more as a background repeat stamped and it has a bit of abstract feel. I really like this idea and the bright colors are perfect with the tropical stamps!! Great cards!!

buzzn2scrap said...

Would have never thought to put the 2 stamp sets together but I love them. Absolutely LOVE the colors you chose ! Will have to see if I can still get the stamps and dies. Thanks for sharing.

Stephanie Clapper said...

Hi Kelly ! I’m a lucky gal to own both the Woodblocks & Some Like it Hot, along with the stencils inspired by the woodblock design. I think where I went wrong was using TOO much of the woodblock desiign. I made a multi colored strip of background paper and added a large (die) sentiment in black. While I loved the pattern, I really was stumped. And this is how I learn from artists like you! I love how you made your beautiful backgrounds and tone on tone. When things finally settle down in June, I want to go back and give it another try. Your Ginger Jar is a fantastic idea! I’m always amazed at your vision and creativity. Thanks for sharing a wonderful Saturday post! 😊❤️

Cindy Beach said...

What fabulous designs! Your ingenious use of these sets together is amazing! Love your work, Kelly!

Vickie R. said...

These cards just ooze summer! Thank you for sharing such bright and happy cards!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much, Vickie!❤❤❤

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you, Cindy! You're so sweet!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much! You're always so sweet! Thank you for stopping by!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much for your comment! I appreciate it!❤❤❤

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you, Jan!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much, Susan!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much, Sherry!

Unknown said...


I love these cards so much. The color combination is exciting and fun.
I am buying the stamp sets and dies. I want to buy the inks and papers you used in these 2 cards but I don’t know the names of them. If it’s not to much trouble please send them to jagduncan@aol.com. I appreciate you sharing your cards. Is there a video showing how you made them? Thank you. Judy Duncan