Monday, September 25, 2017

Merry Monday #258 Let it Snow!!

Welcome to this week's Merry Monday challenge! Things have been a little chilly around here lately so this card doesn't seem so out of place anymore! 

This week, Colleen has challenged us to add a penguin to our cards. I used penguins on THIS project so I decided to change things up a bit and create a cool, winter scene! You can read all about the challenge HERE and also see what the rest of the design team created!


I pulled out another Birthday purchase, which is this fabulous Marilyn Stencil from Simon Says Stamp, that had yet to be used. I thought it had some Christmas-y hints; the holly looking leaves and dots for berries, the pinebough-eque branches at the top and then the whole thing almost looks like one big giant snowflake! I knew this would be the perfect starting point for a fun penguin card!
To begin, I dry embossed the stencil using a piece of Stamper's Select White cardstock and ran it through my cuttlebug using the tan embossing pad for a crisp design. After that, I used an assortment of Distress Oxide ink pads in cool, wintery colors for a fun effect! I haven't used any oxide inks on any projects lately and I felt like they needed a little love! LOL! After that was done, I spritzed the entire piece using Shimmer Spray very generously. I wanted it to have a lot of sparkle and snowy shine! I also added some Nuvo Crystal Glaze to all of the circle images on the stenciled piece.  I set that aside to dry and got to work on the penguins.

I die cut the penguins using the Tremendous Treats Christmas die set and then stamped them with the coordinating images from the Tremendous Treats Christmas stamp set. I colored the images using Copic and Prismacolor markers. I added some Wink of Stella to each of the scarves for some added shine.

The sentiment is heat embossed in silver onto a strip of black cardstock and then adhered to a piece of white cardstock. I spritzed the white piece with shimmer spray as well and then added a strip of adhesive and a coating of chunky iridescent glitter. The penguins are stacked on top of each other using foam squares. I had fun with this card! I love challenges because I usually end up creating something that I NEVER would have otherwise! I hope you get a chance to play! Thanks for fluttering by!

10 comments:

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Darling trio of stacked penguins, Kelly! Just love the inked background behind too - so unique and perfect for your winter scene!!

Linda said...

Love your stenciled background, sponged in those pretty colors. That trio of penguins is just too adorable. Sorry I missed commenting last week, I was in beautiful Kauai. Hope you have a great week.

wienerhoneymooners said...

Love the details, the glitter like frosted sugar,
awesome stenciling, bold colors and white on black sentiment!--dont forget the sweet penguins!

Susan Joyce said...

Love the colours you used Kelly and your stack of penguins.

Kim Heggins said...

Such a fun card...love your adorable penguins standing on each others heads, just too darn cute.

Marcia Hill said...

LOVE this card Kelly! Your stack of penguins is just too cute and am flipping over your stenciled background...love, love, LOVE how you did this! I am so enjoying your addition to the team!! Hope you're having a wonderful week!! :0)

Notes by Nina said...

Adorable card Kelly. I love your sweet stack of little penguins and that stunning background.

JoAnn said...

Such a pretty background for your cute stack of penguins. Love your card.

Lady Joyful said...

Such a fun card! Love that beautiful background.

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

Adorable! Your colouring is bang on and I love the added strip of glimmer.