Monday, February 26, 2018

Merry Monday #279 {Season's Greetings}

Christmas two days in a row? You betcha! I'm sharing my card for this week's Merry Monday Christmas Challenge! It combines some of my favorite techniques; gold embossing paired with watercoloring. I love the way the color pools up in each of the raised embossed "cells" if you will. 


This week, JoAnn has asked us to create a Christmas card using a poinsettia. I have been dying to use this Botanical Blocks IV stamp set and it works perfectly for this week's challenge! There are some lovely samples on the challenge blog today, so I hope you'll head over to check them out. (link at top)


I found this beautiful pattern paper at Hobby Lobby the other day, so I was super excited to use it on today's design. To begin, I heat embossed the botanical block image onto a piece of Strathmore cold pressed watercolor paper and then heat embossed it using Antique Gold embossing powder. Once that was done, I got to work watercoloring it using regular dye inks. I chose to use those rather than watercolors, because I was in a time crunch and didn't have time to mix colors.


I took all of my color cues for the watercoloring from the pretty pattern paper. I also added some Wink of Stella over the Poinsettia petals and leaves for some sparkle.
The sentiment is heat embossed in the same gold and then foam mounted on top of the focal piece. A few sparkling clear sequins finish it off! Thanks for fluttering by!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely and I love the embossing. Looks very regal. Thanks for sharing.

JoAnn said...

Gorgeous card Kelly. Love the gold embossed poinsettias and your water coloring is perfect. They do look great with that lovely background paper.

Lori Turner said...

Wow, Kelly - this is absolutely stunning! I love your water coloring! Have a wonderful week xoxoox

Lisa Elton said...

Beautifully water colored Kelly! This is a gorgeous card!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Just love the gold embossing with the watercoloring, Kelly! Looks amazing on the designer background paper!!

Colleen said...

Stunning! What a great way to have a background for your stunning poinsettia! That pattern paper completes the whole scene...beautiful, Kelly! Have a great week! Heart Hugs, colleen

Debbie Henderson Debbie's Designs said...

Such a stunning card and great watercoloring!

Leanne said...

So pretty, and the water-coloring is amazing. Great job! Cheers, L:)

Kim Heggins said...

Amazing and incredible...just love your sweet card!

Debbie said...

Oh this card is just beautiful! By the way you are a lifesaver! I was looking back on your carrot treat box creations and saw your tip. I was so frustrated with the score line cutting through. Tried your tip and am now so excited to start some Easter projects. Also commented 2 days ago about your Ready to go boxes and tags and was wondering if you had any info. Discovered your blog since you became a PTI design team member and am having so much fun discovering all of your wonderful talent.

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much! I'm glad you saw that too about the carrots! They're so much fun when they work!šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ Also, I DID read your sweet comment on my keeping Christmas post. I actually didn't post that particular project from last year, but I think I'll go back and edit my post from Sunday with a tutorial and dimensions, so stay tuned! Thanks again for your sweet comments!

Debbie said...

Thanks so much, Kelly. I will definitely stay tuned!

Marcia Hill said...

Lovely, lovely card Kelly! Your water coloring with the gold embossing is SOOO pretty and I just LOVE that background paper you used...I think I see a trip to Hobby Lobby coming up very soon!! Hope you're having a wonderful week!! :0)

Linda said...

Lovely card, Kelly. Your gold embossed water coloring is perfect for this image. Hope you are having a wonderful week.

Christine Alexander said...

your gold embossed poinsettia is absolutely stunning.

Rosemary said...

gorgeous!!

Notes by Nina said...

Stunning and so beautiful!