Tuesday, June 27, 2017

So happy...on this momentous occasion

June brides, June weddings, June flowers...always so beautiful! I'm headed on a road trip with my husband *squeal* to attend my nephews wedding at the end of the month! I'm super excited!  It's been a long time since my husband and I have been able to get away. With 5 kids, 7 schedules, little ones, big ones and ones in between...life gets CRAZY! I made this card to celebrate the happy couple! 

I didn't start out with the intention of making a wedding card. I was hoping to do some watercoloring with this fabulous stencil from Hero Arts instead, but when I couldn't find my watercolor pencils, I had to go in a different direction. I remembered seeing THIS card on Instagram and decided to try using my embossing paste and embossing powder for the same effect. I thought that my stencil would work just as  well as the one that she used on her card.
After I was done, I didn't really know what I would be making with it, but it looked so beautiful and I needed to make a wedding card anyway, so I headed in the wedding direction. I had just used the Concord and 9th set Happy Day on THIS card so I didn't want to use that, and since I don't own any other wedding sets, I decided to just use minimal embellishments to let the embossing shine (figuratively and literally) LOL!
I used the Scripted stamp set as well as the coordinating dies to create the focal piece. I think it turned out nicely; clean and simple with just the right amount of elegance. I die cut the "So happy" portion 4 times and glued them together. While that was drying, I heat embossed the "on this momentous occasion" portion onto a strip of vellum cardstock using silver detail embossing powder.
You can see all of the great definition the stacked sentiment has on the card. Because this sentiment is very delicate and intricate, I was able to glue it onto my card very straight by placing the entire piece BACK into the die and then carefully laying it onto my project. After it had dried for a minute or two, I was able to gently lift the die from the project and it was placed perfectly. This is also a great tip if you want to stack them up, like I did here. Simply place the paper back into the die and glue each layer so that they stack nicely.
The hardest part of this entire card was getting the sequins to stay on! ha ha! Because the embossing paste created so much dimension, it was hard to get them to grab the glue. I ended up placing them onto a portion of the embossing that was the flattest, so they could adhere to the glue.
I don't normally add ribbon to my cards much anymore, but I felt like this wedding card definitely deserved it. I think it looks stunning with the simple bow of satin ribbon. I really like all of the neutral colors that I added into the design. I stamped the exact sentiment on the inside of the card as well, just using the inked images and not the die cuts. Thanks for fluttering by!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really stunning Kelley. I love it!

Kim Heggins said...

Simply stunning wedding card...love how you your card ended up, so beautiful! Have a fun trip!

CherylQuilts said...

Kelly, this is GORGEOUS! I saw this on Instagram and just had to come over the read more about it! I love it in every way. Thanks for sharing it! And I do not know how you do ALL you do! Have a great trip! Hugs!

Krish Banzet said...

I shot a wedding at this place in May of last year and the couple was thrilled! They had the ceremony out on the patio then came inside to a long-table format reception which was perfect. The NYC wedding venues cake table was backed by some stunning views.