Thursday, June 29, 2017

A second helping of The Challenge #88

I just couldn't resist making something new to show you using the latest inspiration for The Challenge. Last week's challenge will be running for TWO weeks so you have time to play if you haven't already gotten a chance! You can check out all of the details HERE. I wanted to change things up a bit and show you another "look" using these fabulous keywords!                      
When I made the card in my last post[scroll down to see] I really was hoping to make a card similar to what I am showing you today. I mentioned that I couldn't find my watercolor pencils so I decided to revisit the idea, but just blend my colors instead. I really like how it turned out without the pencils! I showed the watercolor panel to my daughter with excitement and I mentioned that it looked a little bit like tie-dye. She promptly told me it was hideous and only hippies would like my card! So...I really hope there are a few hippies stopping by today! Ha ha! {she did later admit that she liked it. Ah, the joys of teenage girls}



The keywords are: square (check). I was hesitant to take a big chunk out of my newly created background, but I wanted to incorporate the square in an unexpected way and I really like the result. Keyword 2: bright [check]. Nothing is as bright and cheery as a rainbow. 



To begin, I adhered the Glorious Petals stencil on top of a 4 by 5 1/4 inch panel of 140 lb coldpressed watercolor paper to my mat board and applied an even coat of embossing paste over the stencil. I offset the stencil slightly so that the center was not placed in the center of the card. I immediately removed the washi tape and stencil and washed it in warm soapy water had my daughter wash it in warm soapy water. Ha Ha! 




I poured crystal clear embossing powder over the entire surface while the embossing paste was still wet. I heat set it to a glossy shine! So pretty! I toyed with the idea of using white, but ultimately decided on the clear so that it would have a softer look.



Once it was cool, I sponged a rainbow of colors onto the stenciled panel starting in the center of the flower portion and worked my way out changing colors as I went. Because I used the crystal clear powder it resisted the ink on the embossed portion. I wiped the excess ink off of the top with a kleenex and then spritzed it with water. So...keyword 3: watercolor {check} keyword 4: flower{check}



While the watercolor piece was drying, I took the opportunity to jazz up the inside of the card with a coordinating rainbow birthday sentiment. Keyword 5: birthday {check} I just inked up the image using my Stampin' Write markers. 
Of course the outside needed a birthday sentiment as well and since I didn't want to cover up the gorgeous background, I opted for a narrow sentiment. I embossed it using white powder from PSX. I placed the die cut square at a slight angle and then adhered the black sentiment strip using foam squares.
The finishing touch was adding the tiny rainbow sparkle jewels here and there. I placed them onto the panel exactly where that color was represented in the panel. It's hard to tell in the photo because they blend so well, but in real life, they look fantastic!
I had so much fun creating this and I hope you all get a chance to play along! There will be a new challenge next Thursday! Thanks for fluttering by!

5 comments:

Kim Heggins said...

Oh my....this is so beautiful! I love those pretty colors and just love that you shared how you made this amazing card! Thank you so much for playing along with us at The Challenge.

Cindy Otto said...

Guess I'm an old hippie! 😍Love your card. I just bought some Embossing paste and can't wait to try your technique. Thank you for sharing!

Tricia Coffin said...

I love what you've done with this stencil. Your card is beautiful. I saw it on instagram.

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much and thank you for stopping by!

Lesley said...

Amazing!