Friday, May 22, 2015

{Mint} to Be!

 Wednesday was Rowan's last day of preschool and I wanted to take a little something for his two teachers. I already sent a nice gift during Teacher Appreciation Week so I kept this one simple, yet fun! If you are still needing some last minute ideas before the kids get out of school, this is a fun one!
 I have been wanting to do a minty teacher gift for a while so I jumped at the chance when I found this yummy Mint Julep lotion at Bath and Body Works. It smells delicious and the bottle is so pretty! I love the color combo and knew it would be a perfect starting point for a gift tag.


 The color combo actually reminds me of some of the Christmas gift tags we had when I was a kid. We had an assortment of tags that were left over from the late sixties or early seventies I'm guessing and were decorated with all kinds of bright, grinchy greens and shocking pinks with a fair helping of glitter. I loved those tags!  I guarantee that there are probably still a few kicking around in the Christmas wrapping paper stash!

I didn't have a specific image or stamp set in mind when I first got started. As I was rummaging around trying to find the wood grain background, my eyes landed on this set. The biggest leaf looks just like a sprig of mint, don't you think? It is Lovely Layers from PTI.
 I stamped the tag base using white ink and PTI's "Background Basics: Wood grain" stamp set. I also used "Polka Dot Basics" for the vellum strip. I inked it up using Versamark ink, poured Heat and Stick powder over the top and heated it until glossy. I immediately poured the glitter over the top and then heat set it. The final step was to use a dusting brush and brush off all of the excess glitter. I used a fine glitter so I used my embossing buddy to reduce static on the vellum before I got started. I love how it turned out. I used the same technique and supplies on the pink portion of the focal image.
 I quickly made a computer generated sentiment to fit the theme and piled it all in a cello bag. It's tied up with a satin ribbon and ready to go. I can't believe how fast the year has gone! 
These are the supplies I used, minus the few I talked about in the post. Thanks for fluttering by!

2 comments:

Miriam Prantner said...

great gift ensemble! Love these colors and all these sparkle/shine too!

jan metcalf said...

Nice execution from the inspiration pieces!