Tuesday, May 9, 2023

The Greetery {Cheers! To Another Year}


Hello and welcome! I'm sharing a fun project here and on The Greetery Blog!  I was inspired by Betsy’s lovely “MOM” card that she shared during the Hip Hip Hooray release AND inspiration from Bath and Body Works! Have you seen the new collection in the “Gingham” series? My card was inspired by the new “Gingham Fresh” packaging…absolutely delightful! I’m always a sucker for pretty packaging and pretty bottles, etc., BUT it’s always fun to find fresh inspiration that gets your creative juices flowing! In fact, my juices are flowing so freely that I don’t want to go back to regular life! Has that ever happened to you? LOL!

I started my card by creating the most important part: the GINGHAM, of course! I used the Square Dance Die Collection using two shades of ink to achieve the look on the lotion and soap bottles that I bought and was using as reference. The bottles show a loose, uneven gingham, so I didn’t stress too much about getting things perfectly lined up! Yay for imperfection, right? Once the panel was stenciled, I trimmed it down to 4 by 5 ¼ inches and set it aside.

The next step was to create the lovely floral strip; this was achieved by stenciling two of the cake portions from the Takes The Cake Stamp + Stencil. I used Laurie’s INGENIUS way of using the MISTI for the stenciling! I watched her do that on the Instagram LIVE for the Hip Hip Hooray release and wondered what rock I had been living under! Ha ha! Absolutely genius!!! I chose shades of yellow and green and absolutely LOVE how it turned out! I think I’m going to make another card using it as it was intended for a beautiful cake! Once all of the stenciling was complete, I die cut it using the Takes the Cake Floral Details Die.

I also die cut two of the Ribbon Maker: Petite Scallops Die out of white cardstock. I cut a panel of white cardstock just wide enough for the floral pieces and then adhered the scallops on the backside using ScorTape. The floral pieces are added to the panel using foam squares for dimension. Once that was done, I added it to the gingham layer using additional foam squares. It’s no secret that I LOVE dimension, but I have felt that I can’t mail bulky cards because they will get caught in the sorting machine even if I use the non-machinable stamp. I asked a friend at the post office what I could do to avoid having that happen. She told me to simply write “Please hand cancel” at the bottom of the envelope under the address and that would help. I was visiting a widow that I had mailed a VERY heavy and bulky card, and there it was, sitting completely unscathed on her side table! Whew! Now I don’t worry so much about mailing bulky cards!

I die cut enough pieces to create the cupcake using the Hey Cupcake Die and inked them up using the same ink as the floral portion for continuity. I glued it all together and added some glitter. The center of the flower also features one of the cute flowers from the Flower Bits: I just love the added detail! I also layered it onto one of the crimped circles using Soft Stone cardstock for contrast. I think they look like little plates or chargers anyway, so it just added to the look, I think!

I stamped the sentiment using the Tear Strip Tags: Birthday Stamp Set and then die cut it using the new Tear Strip Banners Die I love having this additional option for these fabulous sentiments! I might have had TOO much fun making this because I didn’t want to stop! Ha ha! I can’t wait to give this along with the lotion and soap that was the inspiration for a coordinating look….that’s my favorite! Thanks for fluttering by!

4 comments:

Marcia Hill said...

Every card you make is BEAUTIFUL Kelly, but this one knocks it out of the park!! I absolutely LOVE the yellow and green combination and all the wonderful layers and layers of this GORGEOUS card! Now all I want to do is get out my yellow and green inks and stencils and CASE this lovely, lovely card! Hugs. :0)

Valerie said...

THAT is a SERIOUSLY pretty card!! Lovely layout and colors, very creative use of products. Thanks for sharing!

Connie said...

Fantastic card, Kelly!
I love your inspiration with the gingham touch and the colors are wonderful!
I must watch Laurie's video using the stencil.
Take care and have a great day.

Becky Green said...

WOW! This is a SHOW STOPPER, Kelly! QUITE STUNNING! I LOVE your color choices & LOVE how you used the Cake Die, & the layers you've added too! ;) I plan on doing some playing later & I want to try my hand at this! SUCH A SUPER JOB!!! GASP! SOMEONE is going to LOVE this gift!!! ;)<3