Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Genuine Birthday




I needed a birthday card for my FIL, so sunday afternoon I snuck in some stamping time as Daddy held the sleeping baby while watching football. Everyone is happy, right? I guess that depends on who wins the game! LOL! Anyway....I hadn't really created a "theme" as far as the wrapping paper matching the card, etc. I have really gotten into the habit of wrapping presents in the Sunday comics which is very earth conscious as well as super cheap! LOL! So...with that being said, I took the opportunity to make any kind of card I wanted and that ended up being a Cowboy Card. My FIL is NOT a cowboy, but maybe he always wanted to be one?




In all reality, I could probably make him a princess card and he wouldn't care. My MIL always has to make a special point to say, "Look Dear,...Kelly made this nice card for you." Then I get embarassed and turn red because I don't like the attention. Well...on to the card. My last post I was at a loss for words and today I can't shut up! I told you it was a rare occasion and that it proablaby wouldn't last! LOL!





I decided to pull out some relatively "old-school" techniques for this creation. I always like to pair copper with this particular pattern paper so I added some copper eyelets and added a touch of copper embossing. I was using my embossing gun for some shrink plastic the other day and it took me forever to actually find the thing. I guess I need to work embossing into my designs a little more regularly. Another thing that I used to *really* like to do, was crumple up paper, rub a bit of Versamark ink over it and then pour the embossing powder over it and then heat it. You can see that I used this particular treatment on the sage layer. I also decided to tear the edges of the computer generated happy birthday words, which I usually don't do, but used to all the time. I finished it off with a bit of hemp twine crisscrossed and knotted.


I need to dip into my "cache" of techniques a little more often to get a little bit more variety in my creations. Thanks for fluttering by!
P.S. I think I mentioned it before, but I am hosting a baby shower in a few weeks, so I will be posting the all of the things I create for that soon.

8 comments:

Kathy Martin said...

Fantastic card! Love the layering and masculine look! AWESOME! :)

Anonymous said...

Fun Card!! The colors and copper are great. Like the look. Naturegirl

Unknown said...

Sweet card! I love this stamp set and the papers you used. Great masculine card. :)

Cynthia said...

That sage layer is to die for...love it all and don't I recognize some Su sets there? I just love this look...in fact it reminds me of your dirty dozen entries...loved them and love everything you do now....you rock! You stamp! You do it all! Love ya!

Mary said...

Another great card Kelly. I love those papers and have just been using them to make a banner.
Mary

Steph Zerbe said...

Very handsome card! Love that line of papers!

artfuldelight said...

WOW, I really like the card. The colors are fabulous!

Jessie/knightrone said...

Completely fabulous!!