Saturday, April 24, 2010

Birthdays are the Best *SFYTT*

My daughter and I are headed to my neices "Princess" Birthday party this afternoon! I am sure we will have a wonderful time! Of course, I needed to make a card, so I used this week's SFYTT! I realized that my last three posts have been SFYTT cards and have all used Baby Button Bits! Am I stuck in a rut? LOL! Maybe I just need to clean off my desk so it isn't at arms length everytime I sit down to stamp!
Actually, the cupcake image was the perfect fit. I have been itching to use it and the wrapping paper I got has cupcakes on it. I also bought some new buttons today at the sewing store (like I needed any new buttons) and the little yellow flower button was the perfect touch.
The papers are scraps from the favors I made for the PTA brunch last week. I cut off all of the "collection" information and even the brand name, so I am sorry I can't provide that for you. I love the mix of patterns. My sweet daughter was sitting by me while I was creating and giving her creative "two cents" as I worked away. I hate to crush her spirit when she asks me to add this or that. I ended up pulling the ribbon off, but I think it works without it. It is for a newly turned 5 year old, so I am sure she will think it is the bees knees anyway!
The cupcake "cup" was stamped onto a scrap of pattern paper and then cut out. I stamped the image again onto the focal piece, popped up the cut out cup with foam squares. I then colored the image using copic markers and added the button with a glue dot. The finishing touch was some tinsel glitter from Martha Stewart Crafts.

I did a little bit of sewing on this card. My sewing machine was almost out of thread and actually completely ran out while sewing around one of the panels. I just pulled out the little bit of thread it did have and just kept the paper piercing look. This is something that I have done often...if you need to have paper piercing on a lot of cards for invitations, etc. simply unthread your machine and go to work. Quick paper piercing!!!!!


Here is this week's sketch! I hope that you all get a chance to play along!!!! Jen's was the first "Sketch Challenge" that I partcipated in besides SCS because I love her sketches. I was super happy when she asked me to join the SFYTT team last year. I think that you will all fall in love when you give them a try!

You won't want to miss the other designers!
Jen Del Muro and April Guest Designer
Amy Rohl
Susan Liles
Amy Sheffer won't be playing this week but her blog is always worth a visit!
Leigh O' Brien,
Jenn Diercks,
Amber Hight
Megan Lock
and new SFYTT sister Sony!



This is the photo I was talking about in my last post. When he gives me the pouty lip, it breaks my heart. Crying I can handle, but this little lip is just too much!

Thanks for fluttering by!

21 comments:

Jenn Brown said...

AWWWWWWWWWWW. So glad you could capture that precious look!

Debbie said...

Such a sweet card! There's nothing I don't love about it.

lisa808 said...

Too cute--card & Rowan!

Jenn Diercks said...

We must have been on the same cupcake wavelength. We too have a party to go to today so I used my sketch for it as well. The colors your chose are gorgeous. I love the flower button.

That pouty lip is precious. He's darling!

Maureen said...

awww, omgoodness...break my heart with that pout!! I love how you worked all the different papers on this one...you are a master at that :) love baby button bits...so keep using it if you need to!

Whimsey said...

Adorable card; I love all the different DP; looks amazing.

And your son is precious; that little lip would melt anyone's heart!!!

Amy Rohl said...

Oh my, that look Rowan has on his face is just adorable and hilarious! He's a keeper times a million!

Love this sweet, sweet card, Kelly! The butterflies and sparkle along with that yummy paper go together like paper and glue!

Have a great weekend!

Leigh OBrien said...

This card makes me smile, Kelly. It reminds me of a vintage patchwork quilt...warm and wonderful!

Cynthia said...

Hi Kelly! I've been without a computer for about 2 weeks - lost everything! I purchased my first "back-up" hard drive! I'm a slow learner but I'm now convinced!!

You've been creating such great and darling projects since I've been away...this card looks like a patchwork quilt...you have quite the eye my friend!!! Love it!!

That pouty mouth is just the cutest!!! He makes me want to cry too but I know that he is in good hands!! I can now see the resemblance to the family - I can see your daughter's features in him - what a doll!! Glad you are enjoying your bundle!! I can't believe the bassinet is down already - where did the time go????

~amy~ said...

I just adore your card!!! Good grief, that pouty look is tooooo sweet:)

Sonja "Sony" Christoph said...

awww very cute, Kelly!! Love your patchwork!!!

Anonymous said...

That is just soooo cute, the pouty lip and feel sorry for me frown!!! He is so asking for sympathy! Love your site!

Megan said...

Awwww, this is so soft and sweet!

Christine Blain said...

This would have to be the most exquisite card a 5-year-old has ever received! The photo of Rowan is hilarious (I know he doesn't think so). You might find he still has this tired, pouty look when he's older, too - my boy is now 14, and still has facial expressions that are his alone, and are the same as when he was a baby. I love it!

DeeDee said...

Love the card, and that sweeeeeeeeet photo!

Katie Ann Brooks said...

awesome card, I love the yellow button, nice touch. The picture is adorable also!

Jodi Collins said...

ACK! Your card is GORGEOUS Kelly! LOVE LOVE LOVE the tinsel glitter on the cupcake and the papers are just STUNNING!

Mandi said...

What an adorable little face

mandi xx

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, my!! That lip is just the cutest!!! I want to cuddle him up. I'm sure you're loving do that!! Your card is beautiful! Always love your work!

Kathy Martin said...

This card is FABULOUS! I LOVE the papers, layers and details! It's awesome! And your baby's photo....priceless! :)

Andrea Gideon said...

You have the cutest baby ever. He is so adorable.