Friday, June 5, 2009

New Banner!


I decided I would get a head start and make a new summer banner for my blog. As many of you know, I make a banner to hang inside of my entry way and then use it for my blog banner as well. I have a bench below my banner that I decorate as well. My new *theme* is strawberries, apples and pears. I found a garland last year on clearance and never ended up by using it, so I thought I would get it out this year. I have been hoarding this Scenic Route paper for quite a while now and was thrilled to see that it was the perfect thing for this season's banner. Each triangle is 4 by 6. I then measure the center at 2 inches and mark it with a pencil. From there, I place one side onto my paper trimmer and line it up with the pencil mark to make the perfect triangles. The accordian flowers measure 1 1/2 inches by 12 inches and then I score at 1/4 inch intervals. The chipboard is SU! that has been painted with Making Memories Celery Scrapbook paint and then sprinkled with Martha Stewart's Coarse Crystal glitter. Each accordian flower is adhered with a craft glue dot and then the letters are adhered using Crystal Effects. I stapled each triangle together and then used a button adhered with craft glue dots to hide the staples. The ribbon is folded in half and then stapled as well with a button hiding the staple. I think this banner will be quite sturdy!
I had a question from my *embellish it* post about what a "baste" stitch is. A Basting stitch is a long loose stitch that you use to gather skirts, etc. So...you will want to set your stitch length on your machine to the longest length. Hope that helps!
I will be back tomorrow with one of Jen's fabulous Sketch For You To Try designs. Thanks for fluttering by!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is GORGEOUS!!! It just says..."Summer!" Thanks for the step by step details on how you made it. I just might have to try one of these myself. As always, thanks so much for sharing your amazing talent with us! You were missed while you were having issues with your camera. So glad you're back!

Creations by Patti said...

I miss the old one but I also like the new one (maybe because I like RED!) It is gorgeous......we all need to make one. I come to your blog and just love seeing your banner. Very creative. Thanks for the inspiration and also the instructions......this is a great project. xoxo, Patti

Amy Rohl said...

Hi Kelly!

Thanks for sharing all the deets on how you make your banners--I might just get crazy brave and try one as soon as I'm done being a speech therapist for the summer! Ü

You know how much I {heart} those scenic route papers--love 'em! See you tomorrow for SFYTT.

Unknown said...

Cool! Thanks for including instructions. I totally want to copy this for my home and probably will in the future. I bet it looks great in your house. :)

Eveline said...

Lovely banner.
Eveline.

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Your banner is gorgeous! What a lovely sight as you come in the door.

Connie M. said...

This is so very pretty Kelly! Love the buttons joining the banner pieces! How fun!!

~Lori Roop said...

I love it Kelly!! It's So sweet and summery!!

P.S. I didn't have a whole lot of luck with the accordian flowers! Mine kept wanting to split. Though, I'm sure I wasn't getting some aspect just right! :0

I have a tip for you (I hope you don't mind me sharing it).....if you've never used a glue....do it! It's cheaper, dries in an instant and adheres so much better!! I use a glue gun for "everything"! I also use it on material. :D

Betty Wright said...

Kelley, this is beautiful!!! Wonderful colors and detail!!! Wonderfully done!!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and never think you are a whiner! You are a talented stamper and designer and I enjoy everything you post. Everyone has some down times....this weather pattern has not been helpful.

Christi Flores said...

Wow!!!!!! I love this!!!!!

lisa808 said...

'Sweet' banner!!! The strawberries in the garland yell 'summer.'

Jackie Pedro said...

What a beautiful banner! I just love it!!

Deborah Saaranen said...

All of your banners are over-the-top fantastic Kelly! I love this one--so fabulous with the strawberries! I wish I could see your entire home--I can only imagine how beautiful it is!!!

Jean Franks Beck said...

Wow, wow, wow!!! I always love your banners, and each one is so very pretty!! Thanks for sharing the deets on how to make them - I will definitely have to try one. Have a wonderful almost-summer day :)

ChristineCreations said...

Well I love the banner! So summery and the strawberries look so beautiful with it! I bet people are always wow-ed when they come in your door!

Dawn Easton said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Kelly! Walking into your home must be a real treat for friends!!! So warm and welcoming! GREAT new banner!!!

C said...

Gorgeous banner...thanks for the instructions..may make one for my stamp room..someday!