Sunday, January 25, 2009
Dare to Dream
Last week I was fortunate enough to come across the Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge blog through Brooke. She left a sweet comment on one of my cards and I followed the link back to her fabulous blog and then on to the CinemaSaturdayBlog. I had once stumbled across a blog where someone had created a Cinematic card that referred to a challenge, which intigued me, but I never followed through. Well...as fate would have it, I now know where to participate and now I need to go back through all of the past 15 weeks and make cards! LOL! They have picked some of my all-time favorites.
If you haven't guessed what this week's movie is by now, then you probably haven't ever seen "The Wizard of Oz". I was thrilled to see that it was this week's pick. After church, dinner and the dishes done, I headed down to get started on my creation. I quickly turned "The Wizard of Oz" on and watched it with my daughter while I created. I new right a way that I would use the new "Sweet Slumber" Specialty DSP from SU! This is heavy, textured cardstock that is exactly like My Mind's Eye "Wild Asparagus" paper. Yummy! The gingham print reminded me of Dorothy's dress and the red worked well because of her Ruby Slippers.
I really wanted to add blue ric-rac like Dorothy has on the neck band of her dress, but the blue I had wasn't the right shade, so I went with white. I carefully stitched it down with my sewing machine. The sentiments were created on my computer ( if you would like a copy of my document , email me at firstname.lastname@example.org )and then I printed them out and cut them. I used my oval and scallop oval Nestabilities to create the oval shape.
I used my "One of a Kind" set to stamp out the flowers. I stamped it twice in Riding Hood Red and twice in Baja Breeze onto whisper white cardstock. I punched them out using the Boho Blossoms punch and added them to the oval with dimensionals. The buttons were added to a few of the flower centers using mini glue dots. The red Chunky Essentials glitter in the center of the red flowers was added with liquid glue. Of course it wouldn't be complete without some ribbon, so I tied a simple bow and trimmed the edges and added it to the oval with a glue dot.
While I was printing the focal image on my computer, I decided to create a small "Somewhere over the Rainbow" sentiment not knowing if I would actually work it into the design. I was able to incorporate it in the bottom right corner with a small button on the side. I left all of the buttons "naked" (sorry Jody) because I liked how they looked as the centers of the flowers rather than a "sewn" button.
I do want to apologize for the photography. It is not the lightest and brightest and it really doesn't do the card full justice, but it is snowing outside and the light quality isn't the best.
I had a lot of fun making this card. My daughter came over to my desk and said that it wasn't a "Wizard of Oz" card because Dorothy wasn't on it. I instead read it to her and then she caught on.
She loves the "Wizard of Oz". Last year our Elementary school put on the play and for those of you who have followed my blog for a while might remember me talking about my "poppies". I was in charge of coreographing the dance for the "poppies" to put Dorothy and her gang to sleep. Good times and fun memories. My daughter came to all of the practices with me so she learned most of the songs from the play.
I hope to be able to participate in future Cinema Saturday Challenges and perhaps go back to the others that I totally love! Thanks for fluttering by! Also, I would like to send a big thanks to all of you who left such sweet comments yesterday congratulating me on joining the SFYTT "Team"!
Stamps: One of a Kind
Ink: Baja Breeze, Riding Hood Red
Paper: Ultrasmooth White, PTI White, Sweet Slumber Specialty DSP
Accessories: Valet Ribbon Originals, Buttons from my stash, Mini Glue Dots, Dimensionals, Boho Blossoms punch, Ric-Rac by Wrights, Sewing Machine and Thread, Nestablitites Ovals and Scallop Ovals, Computer and Printer