Friday, May 13, 2022

The Greetery {Wildflower Birthday}

 


Hello friends! It's my turn for this week's TGIF {The Greetery Inspiration Friday} I’m so thrilled you’ve joined me today as I share a duo of bold wildflower birthday cards! I can’t decide which layout I like better: landscape or vertical, so I made one of each! The flower clusters are so much fun to create, so I just kept going and going, which turned out to be plenty for two cards.

To begin, I die cut all of the flowers and stems twice using the BotaniCuts Wildflower Mix dies. I also had a few stems and flowers left over from a previous project so I added those in as well. I colored all of the stems and flowers using finger daubers and Distress Oxide inks. I chose to give each type of stem a unique combination of inks to really give some variation and depth to the stems and leaves. I chose traditional colors for the flowers and then glued them to the stems using liquid glue. I was having such a fabulous time as each new sprig was added to the pile.

For the background, I simply die cut the largest frame in the Nordic Frames collection using black cardstock. I added some white paint splatter, allowed it to dry, and then added it to the black card base using foam squares for dimension. Once that was done, I got to work on the sentiments.

I die cut the outline for both the “Celebrate” and “Birthday” words and then stamped them using the Birthday Blooms stamp set in black ink. The companion sentiments, which are also from the Birthday Blooms stamp set, are heat embossed in white onto strips of black cardstock. I added the main sentiment piece to the front of each card using foam squares. I glued the different wildflower clusters here and there until I was happy with each arrangement. I added the companion sentiment to the card using additional foam squares.

Once I finished, I realized that I hadn’t added any pen or colored pencil details to the leaves and flowers. I used a black pen to add centers to some of the flowers and then a few colored pencils for the leaves and additional flowers. I opted not to add any glitter or sequins, which is surprising for me! Ha ha! There is a method to my madness, however; I didn’t want any stray glitter specks to fall onto the black cardstock and make the cards look too busy. I felt it would compete with the ink splatter, so I resisted. If you can’t live without a little sparkle, you could always use a Wink of Stella glitter pen or something similar to add glitter where you’d like. Thanks for fluttering by!

P.S. I realized I didn't talk about the envelopes....I decorated the flaps using the Handmade Labels stamp set for an extra bit of detail!

6 comments:

Cindy H. said...

Kelly, your cards are absolutely gorgeous! Love them both!

Becky Green said...

STRIKING & SO VIBRANT, Kelly! NICE WORK!!! (I usually go vertical for some reason! LOL) ;)<3

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank you so much!

Kelly Lunceford said...

You’re so sweet! Thank you so much!

Stephanie Clapper said...

Hi Kelly! When I first saw your cards they gave me the feeling of the 4th of July. 😊. I’m imagining standing under a dark sky filled with a wildflower mix bursting with brilliant colors. I’ll remember that when we celebrate this year!

Kelly Lunceford said...

I love that visual! Thank you for sharing! I’ll be imagining that now, too!❤️