Saturday, November 28, 2009

Tea Pot Get Well Wishes *SFYTT*


'Tis the Season to get sick, hence a get well card. Since I am on the mend, I thought that it might be prudent to get a few get well cards in my stash. I chose to use one of my favorite stamp sets from Papertrey Ink, Tea For Two. While I am not a tea drinker myself, it has a lot of possibilties and I have used it quite a bit. I thought the images worked perfectly for today's sketch, which I love, by the way. I don't know how Jen does it every week.
ETA: I had a comment asking me how I would get such a bulky card into an envelope. Here is my solution for this particular card; I would put it into a 5 1/2 by 5 1/2 inch paper envelope, or slide it into a clear envelope. This is a card that I wouldn't even attempt to have mailed, though. This is one that I would tuck into a basket of get-well aids, like soup, kleenex, cough drops, etc. A good way of having bulky cards mailed, however, is to have them hand-canceled at the post office so they don't have to slide through their scanner.
I started out by creating a 5 by 5 card base using Vintage Cream cardstock. Each piece of pattern paper is also matted onto cardstock and then I sewed along the edges. I had to limit my sewing, since I changed thread for a sewing project (I will share it with you when I am done) that usually ends up using a whole spool of thread and I didn't want to run out. The pattern paper is from a K & Co. slab (the Bailey Collection) that I picked up at Hobby Lobby a while back. I have been so good not to use it on every card and I think I have resisted for some time. I thought it was time to dust it off. I actually really like this combo for Christmas, so you may see some Christmas creations coming up using it.
The tea pot was stamped onto the pattern paper and then trimmed out and popped with foam squares. I also added a few buttons under the sentiment for some added detail. I didn't leave them naked this time and threaded them with a bit of Rustic Twine. I am in love with this Holiday Mix of buttons. I have actually just left them on my desk, since they make an appearance onto every project, Christmas or not.

Of course I had to add an accordion medallion for the embellishment, spruced up with some glitter and tea image. I try and resist, but I just love making them. Also, I have had quite a few emails regarding the accordion flowers and how they don't seem to stick together using glue dots. I have had some pop up myself, so I now use hot glue, which was suggested to me by Susan Liles, one of my SFYTT sisters (see link below) It has made a world of difference, so thank you Susan for the tip!!!!!

I finished the card off by adding a simple satin bow and called it done. I had a lot of fun making this card. I actually have had quite a craft-productive last few days. I have started a sewing project, finished 4 matchbook sliders and made a new Holiday banner that I will be sharing soon. That is more than I have done in a long time!!

You won't want to miss the other SFYTT designers.
Jen Del Muro and Amy
Amy Rohl
Susan Liles and Amy Sheffer ,Leigh O' Brien!!!!!
Thanks for fluttering by!!!

12 comments:

Deborah Saaranen said...

Wowzers, Kelly! This is just amazing! LOVE the vintage appeal and pretty colors here!

Heather said...

Your cards are just gorgeous but I would like to know how you get envelopes to fit their depth.

Pattyjo said...

How gorgeous! Your card is stunning!
Pattyjo

Elizabeth S. said...

This is beautifully done card! The colors are fantastic!

Leigh OBrien said...

This is FAB, Kelly! The perfect get well card!

Amy Sheffer said...

WOW, Kelly! You've outdone yourself with this one! Totally gorgeous! {cough, cough, sniffle, sniffle ... teehehe)

jen said...

This is so gorgeous!! Thanks so much for the tip on the hot glue- I had my little flowers popping up so much that I finally STITCHED them onto my banner- hot glue would be SO much easier! :)

Michele Boyer said...

This is GORGEOUS! I love those papers and buttons!

Amy Rohl said...

I don't know how YOU do it every week, Kelly--one gorgeous card after another! This is classic Kelly, and I love every inch of it! The accordian medallion, the layers, the PAPER! Delicious-ness!

Jackie Pedro said...

Holy Smokes....this is beautiful!! LOVE the paper flower and the vintage feel to the card!

sanadon said...

This is so pretty. How do you make the accordion medallions? Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to see even more. :)
Sylvia

Unknown said...

What beautiful work. I loved looking at your blog.