Thursday, January 22, 2015

So sorry for your loss

 Life has a way of throwing us curve balls...lots and lots of them.  Death is constant and inevitable, yet when it happens so unexpectedly and tragically it is especially difficult. I have endured many losses in my life and while each one has been painful, the days go by and eventually the hurt fades and life has a way of creating a new normal.  You would think that with experience comes some sort of expertise, but for some reason when others lose a loved one, I shrink into an awkwardness of not knowing what to do or say. Sometimes saying I'm sorry just doesn't seem like enough.



 I can give a little bit more by creating a piece of myself to give away with the recipient in mind.  Today I chose purple...I think it's her favorite. Sympathy cards can be tricky...you must strike a perfect balance of appropriateness and cheer.  I tend to gravitate towards floral and classic, but today I chose something a little more organic and earthy. I felt I captured the feel I was going for without compromising the sympathetic elements.

 This particular stamp set is called Blooming Button Bits from PTI and while it rarely gets used, it is one that I love.  I chose a few buttons with different textures and sheen for interest but kept the colors exactly the same to eliminate a distraction.  The leaves were stamped using Simply Chartreuse ink and then I added some stickles to a few of the leaves for just the right balance of shine. Again, it goes back to the appropriateness level.

Since I wasn't using pattern paper, I felt I needed to create enough texture and pattern to satisfy my tastes.  I guess I'm a meddler...I just can't leave well enough alone! I know simple is chic and in vogue, but I have to stay true to myself. If I "copy" someone else, it becomes math and math isn't my best subject.


I used an embossing folder for the first layer. I then added a layer of burlap to just peek out from the focal image to keep it earthy and organic. I don't normally mix sentiments like I did here, but for some reason it works here. I had originally had the sentiment on purple just repeat itself along the strip, but it was needing something else. This frame was the perfect addition. I did want to add ribbon, but I left it alone. The final touch was a few of these tiny  stones, I bought them quite a few years ago and I think they are from the robin's nest or something like that. I really liked them on this card...maybe some fresh dew, rain or tears.  I really hope this card brings some comfort for the recipient. Thanks for fluttering by!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful colors!

Tanya said...

It's beautiful anyway! :)