Wednesday, September 1, 2010

You're Queen for the Day *SFYTT*

There is a story behind today's card, which I will get into later. Also, I really didn't mean to be {this} late with my SFYTT card. I know I forcasted Sunday, but reality struck and I couldn't get to it until today. I had in my mind what I would be doing and I was excited to see it turn out similar to my mind's eye. I was able to incorporate some of my favorite things.



Okay...on to the story. Rockwell came home from school on Monday saying that he hadn't had a good day and that he wasn't enjoying school anymore. This really sent up the red flags with me because he has really been enjoying his new school year and his teacher. At the beginning, she told the kids that they would get "paid" for doing the things that they needed to do, but would also have to pay her if they did things they shouldn't be doing. I have been hearing things throughout the weeks that certain kids had to pay her for this or that or even that the whole class had to pay because of all the talking. Well...this week he told me that she was "taxing" them and that they had to give her money to go out to recess, etc. This seemed a little extreme to me...until I got an email from her addressed to all of the parents. She explained that she would be doing some heavy taxing. They are currently learning about the colonies, etc. She is calling it her "Mock Revolution". One of the other 5th grade teachers has been secretly sneaking in to the class to give them money; representing France. Anyway, we aren't supposed to let on to our kids about what is going on. She signed her email, "The wicked queen of England". I will be seeing her tomorrow at the PTA meeting, so this will go to her along with some chocolate, because I am sure she will be needing it with all of the super grumpy kids.

The focal image is the Queen of Hearts from this set from TJ Designs. The sentiment is also from that set. I paired it with some of the great images from this set. I haven't made a vintage card in a while and these images are perfect. I added some liquid pearls here and there. I used Amy Sheffer's advice and tapped the bottom of my card to get the pearls to be rounded rather than pointy...thanks Amy! I smudged up quite a few in my excited haste to get it finished, but hopefully she won't even notice. I hade fun making this and I really like this sketch. Thanks for fluttering by!



Here is the sketch. I shared it on Saturday, but if you haven't had a chance to play along, I highly recommend it. This is such a fun sketch.

12 comments:

Marcie Sharp said...

Beautiful card! I'm always amazed at the creativity teachers have as well...I think her students are going to look back on her as being a really fantastic teacher!

Amy Rohl said...

Love the story and love the card!! The colors are just fantastic, and the image is soooo perfect for your son's teacher, and I'll be anxious to hear her reaction!

Princess said...

When I first saw this card, I thought it was amazing. Then when I read the story behind it I really chuckled. My twin sister was a teacher and did stuff like what you're talking about. What a hoot!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card. My sister sent me a link to this because I taxed my 4th graders when we studied the colonies! I actually did a stamp tax (stamped the top of their worksheets which they had to have) lead tax (for sharpening pencils), and tea tax (for using the drinking fountain. I also called myself King George III and wore a crown! It's not hard to get the kids to revolt! Secretly I'm sure your son loves it!
Deborah

Anonymous said...

Kelly, This card is really pretty and funny at the same thime. That teacher really deserves to be a "queen". Good going. Naturegirl

Anonymous said...

Loved the story and the card and how did you get your liquid pearls to go round? Please explain? I need help. I have a bunch and I don't use them because I don't like how they look. Thanks.

Deborah Saaranen said...

FABulous design Kelly! ALWAYS love your pleated medallions!

What a great and memorable way for your son's teacher to implement her lesson!

Lola G. said...

What a terrific learning opportunity -- it's always wonderful to hear about creative teaching. You're so thoughtful to support her with these goodies!

Tanya said...

haha, that's great! Love your card too!

Jessie/knightrone said...

What a fun teacher!! I love it!! Gorgeous card, too!!

Sharon-The OKI StampQueen said...

Hi Kelly! I LOVE your card!!Particularly since my bff dubbed me the "oki stampqueen"! I needed a smile-thanks for sharing! Blessings, Sharon

jan metcalf said...

Fun and beautifully executed card!