Saturday, June 13, 2009

Super Son SFYTT

I was in need of a card to give to my son because he is just amazing. He has really been blowing me away with the way he keeps his room super clean, does his homework without me having to even ask; he literally walks through the door from school, washes his hands and gets to work. Yes...we still have our moments and he still torments his sister, but I wanted to let him know that I have been noticing all of these great things and that I really appreciate it. I also bought him a new shirt and a Backugon (sp?) figure thingy and left it all on his bed for him to discover. He seemed really pleased with it all.



Another thing that I noticed, is that he is really growing up fast and I don't have many "cool" stamp sets to create cards with. Lately, I have only been making him sports oriented cards, so as I dug through my stamps, I realized he has grown out of all of them. I decided to use some skulls and cross-bones paper from the Rockabilly assortment and use the old "Ahoy, Matey" set. I think this is probably the last time I can use it and get away with it. LOL! I realize that I colored the pirate in what may seem to be Christmas colors, but really I was just using the colors that are included in all of the sheets of the Rockabilly paper. In the end, I don't think he looks like a Christmas pirate.


The sentiment is actually from two different stamps from the "Star Prints" stamp set from Papertrey Ink. I just combined the "You're a Super" and "Son" onto one block. I colored the images with an assortment of copic and prismacolor markers. The poor little pirate looked too clean, so I splattered some black ink onto the image using my color spritzer tool. I added a knot of red grosgrain ribbon to mimic the head scarf and to tie in a little bit of red into the design besides the coloring. I had fun creating this for my son, even though I kept it simple. He really is a super son!
You won't want to miss the other SFYTT designers.
Jen Del Muro and Ashley
Amy Rohl
Carole Burrage
Susan Liles and Amy Sheffer

Thanks for fluttering by!

10 comments:

Amy Sheffer said...

Adorable! I bet your son was thrilled when he discovered all the things you left for him. It's those thoughtful, unexpected little gestures that really do mean so much to them! I made a "you're my hero" card for my 8yo son a while back when he met some goals at school and I was shocked when he carried it up to his room and displayed it on his dresser.

Ida said...

Awesome card. I didn't think your Pirate looked Christmasy at all. I bet your sone loved this and the goodies.

Susan (susiestampalot) said...

what a neat idea! i have an 8 year old daughter like that, kelly and it's so refreshing to see her so responsible! we too, still have the times when she torments her little sister, but she is the most loving thing for the most part! i hope he enjoys his new toy that i've never heard of!

Nancy Riley said...

Couldn't be any cuter! I love the Rockability dp with this image! Good thinkin'!

i'm with the band said...

Very cute, great job!

Dawn Easton said...

Awwwww Kelly that was super sweet of you to make your son a card! Kids love to be acknowledged for those sorts of things and you sound like you have one special young man!!!
Your card is fantastic! I LOVE that DP and had forgotten I had any ;)
Thanks for the inspiration!

ChristineCreations said...

Oh you are such a sweet mama! I always love what you do with this set Matey! :) Not Christmasy at all - PIRATEY!

Deborah Saaranen said...

Oh my-- your son is truly Super Son!!! Be thankful and hope he continues!!!

Amy Rohl said...

Oh, that is just so sweet, Kelly and you're so right to recognize the "good" things he's doing! I'm sure he loved this card and I do too! Love everything you do with little pirate man. Your coloring is just plain fun!

Amy Rohl said...

Forgot to say that the little tie of red ribbon is sooo perfect! Made me giggle!